From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop of Canterbury in South America

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 06 Jul 1999 11:43:58

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-092

Archbishop of Canterbury warmly greeted by Anglicans in South
America

by Jerry Hames

(Episcopal Life) Archbishop George Carey of Canterbury, in a
weeklong swing in late May through the Church of Brazil and the
strongly evangelical Church of the Southern Cone, made a
worldwide call to churches to throw open their doors to welcome
strangers.

"We must welcome people, we must care for them, we must
ensure they feel at home in our worship and that we relate our
faith to the needs of people outside," he said. Carey visited the
dioceses of Northern Argentina, Bolivia and Uruguay. In
Montevideo, Uruguay's capital, where he addressed the provincial
synod, Carey warned that it is easy for the church to talk about
mission, but fail to act on it.

He described "an innocent sign" on the porch of a church in
his diocese that reads: "Keep this door firmly shut, sheep may
enter." For too many years, this has been the unspoken view of
many Anglican churches: This church is not for you; keep out," he
said.

Youth and leadership development are other challenges the
church faces, Carey said. He encouraged Anglicans to take
seriously their mission to young people by focusing on their
needs and goals. "And, finally, we must raise up godly, educated
men and women for Christ's work," Carey said.

Vote on women priests fails

However, the Anglicans in the Southern Cone will not have
female priests to continue the church's work -- at least for now.
A vote to permit dioceses to ordain women as priests failed to
get the required two-thirds approval.

The proposed motion, approved by a majority of those
present, sought permission from the province to allow dioceses to
proceed with such ordinations if they wished. A provincial press
release said that bishops and delegates who opposed the
resolution spoke of their desire to be faithful to biblical
witness.

Two women deacons from Montevideo who attended the synod
took Carey and his wife, Eileen, a nurse, to an AIDS hospital,
where they have a ministry. Carey laid hands on the patients and
prayed with the families during his visit. One of the deacons,
Audrey Gonzales, originally a journalist from Tennessee,
ministers to the English-speaking community at Holy Trinity
Cathedral and at a home for the elderly.

"This is the most attention the church has ever received
from the press and media," said Presiding Bishop Maurice
Sinclair, who said he hopes Carey's visit will increase the
church's visibility in the community. Reflecting the cathedral's
active street ministry, people from all walks of life mingled
with hundreds of others, and street children sat on the floor in
front of the English ambassador and Eileen Carey during the
service.

In the Diocese of Northern Argentina, Carey seized an
opportunity to talk with government officials about concerns
shared by the Anglican and Roman Catholic churches over land
rights of the indigenous people and urged compliance of
agreements already reached but not yet enforced.

Traditional Bolivian pipe music added to the festivities in
Santa Cruz, when Carey joined Bishop Gregory Venables in
consecrating a new church. The priest said the parish ministry
was one of "reconciliation and hope" in a community polarized by
expanding Christian fundamentalism.

In Uruguay, Carey urged in his address to provincial synod
that lay and ordained ministers prepare themselves to encounter
diversity in the secular world and with other members of a
worldwide Christian church. "This is something that Anglicanism
has sometimes struggled to acknowledge, preferring to focus on
the local and immediate.

"The days are gone when parochialism can work," he said.
"What we do or say here can so easily be broadcast to the other
side of the world within seconds. So I want to encourage outward-
looking theological education that will strengthen the identity
of this province and equip your people for the realities of the
word and the church today."

Arriving by small plane at Ing Juarez in the Chaco region of
northern Argentina, Carey was greeted by a city that is 80
percent Anglican. More than 6,000 filled the city arena for a
three-hour Festival of Praise.

--based on reports from the Anglican Communion News Service by
Jim Rosenthal and the Latin American and Caribbean Communication
Agency.