From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians discuss 'fresh start' for Africa

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 06 Jul 1999 11:50:49

99-093

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

Debt conference calls for 'fresh start' for Africa

by James Solheim

(ENS) The voices were urgent--and angry, calling for the
forgiveness of international debts owed by African nations to
give them a "fresh start," and also for a new economic order
based on mutuality rather than exploitation.

An intense three-day consultation dealing with trade, aid,
and debt drew a wide variety of people committed to economic
justice for Africa, limited not just to experts but including
students, former missionaries, government officials and church
leaders.

Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town Njongonkulu Ndungane gave
the keynote address for the June 4-6 consultation in a suburb of
Washington, D.C., sponsored by the Washington Office on Africa
and the Stony Point Conference Center. Increasingly recognized as
a leading spokesman for economic justice for his continent, the
archbishop was blunt in calling for the "cancellation of
unpayable debts as a first significant step towards a new
economic beginning for the developing world, in particular
Africa," providing "a springboard to new hope, to a new
dispensation of economic justice."

A net of debt

Speaking to a crowd at the Cannon House Office Building,
Ndungane traced the debt crisis, beginning with the liberation
movements of the 1960s when leaders "grasped at economic
lifelines thrown out by developed countries," not aware that
"they were being caught up in the net of foreign debt that would
drag them further into a sea of poverty."

As a result, he said, "millions of people in developing
countries now live in abject poverty while a massive transfer of
wealth takes place, from the people of the south to the
industrialized nations of the north." It is now estimated that
Africa owes over $227 billion to creditors, about $400 for every
man, woman and child on the continent, by some estimates.

In many instances, he noted, the debt was incurred by
oppressive governments. In South Africa, for example, the
apartheid regime racked up a debt of about $62 billion, debts
which "should be declared odious and written off."

"Poor countries are obliged by the International Monetary
Fund and other representatives of rich creditor nations to
prioritize debt payments and to do this by diverting funds from
health, clean water, sanitation and human development," Ndungane
said. His call for a Mediation Council that would "establish
legal principles and standards to govern international lending
and borrowing," was endorsed by last summer's Lambeth Conference
of the world's Anglican and Episcopal bishops meeting in
Canterbury, England.

The scandal of our age

While the gap widens between the rich and the poor nations,
"Planet Earth rent asunder by such division and injustice is
heading for shipwreck." He added that "the single greatest
scandal of our age" is the "massive transfer of resources from
poorer countries to the wealthy, whether through debt repayments
or the inequalities of global trade."

Standing on the threshold of a new millennium, Africans must
pledge themselves to work for cancellation of unpayable debts,
especially those stemming from militarist regimes, which "would
give Africa an opportunity for a fresh start," he said. And then
Africa must move to "ensure that funds released from debt are
channeled towards economic projects" and develop strategies for
sustainable development.

Ndungane repeated his urgent call for creation of an
Economic Union of African States to coordinate economic
development and assure that Africa would never again be
marginalized or exploited. "It is time to move forward and to
share the healthy, invigorating air of Africa with a world that
has grown fatigued with old values," he concluded. "Africa stands
at a time where it can and must play a pivotal role in
influencing the next millennium. And for that it must be freed
from the last shackles of oppression that are holding it back--
the yoke of international debt."

Breaking bonds of debt

A second voice from Africa, a theologian and economist from
Tanzania, was just as blunt. The Rev. Fidon Mwombeki denounced
the World Bank and IMF as "unfriendly agents of imperialism which
were neither created nor work for us" While admitting that it was
"unprecedented" for the World Bank and IMF to even consider debt
cancellation, he said,   "We want to repudiate them, to say
enough is enough. We are pushing our governments to disengage
themselves from these tyrants. Our people have suffered for too
long under their domination. Their prescriptions for economic
reform," he said, "are grossly preposterous and grotesque."

Calling most of the debts "illegitimate," he said, "We can
no longer snatch food from the mouths of children to pay the
debt."

Mwombeki described how difficult it was to return home to
Tanzania after five years of study in the United States and "see
columns of young boys and girls walking five miles to school
early in the morning... to see endless funerals in villages where
children die of malnutrition and malaria because they cannot
afford medical user fees imposed by the IMF and World Bank... to
see roads dilapidated, telephones which do not work, underweight
pregnant mothers giving birth to underweight children without
access to medical care."

He concluded, "After years of being their humiliated good
boys, our economies are poorer, our people more illiterate, our
savings lower, our children without hope, our industries closed,
our good institutions sold to foreigners at give-away prices, our
governments more indebted and unable to control even dangerous
products banned elsewhere." He added, "We want our money back--
and you know where it is."

Later during a question-and-answer period, he said, "It is
humiliating to beg. Nobody wants to be dependent. But there is no
chance for freedom unless the chains of debt bondage are broken."

Both Mwombeki and Ndungane endorsed Jubilee 2000, an
international campaign calling for cancellation of the burden of
debt in the developing world and a new, more cooperative,
economic order, based on the biblical vision from Leviticus 25.

Taking action

After working in small groups, participants met in a plenary
to hammer out elements of a strategy to address issues of trade,
aid and debt. A final statement, "Toward economic justice in
Africa: A kairos moment for American policy," argued that
economic systems have favored the few "to the destruction of many
others. Greed seems to be at the basis of this oppressive system,
producing massive poverty clearly recognizable in the problems of
disease, hunger, illiteracy, violence, death, crime and
immorality."

The statement urged a broadened definition of "neighbor to
that of a universal neighbor, beyond our immediate kin, local
community, ethnic group and nationality" as a way to affirm
interdependence as a vision of community. "If we are all created
in God's image, then the denial of dignity to any undermines the
vision of true community," it said.

At the heart of the debt issue, it said, is "imbalance of
power" and it is crucial to create mechanisms to prevent similar
patterns in the future. "Countries have repaid the equivalent
value of the original loans, including the principal and
interest, many times over. Creditors must recognize that much of
the remaining debt is morally odious." It further endorsed
Ndungane's idea of a mediation council as a mechanism to build a
different economic order.

The real issue for the church at this point is "how to be a
prophetic voice in dealing with economic justice for Africa,"
said the Rev. Leon Spencer, an Episcopalian who is director of
the Washington Office on Africa. He said that the stories shared
in the small groups revealed the "human realities" of the
difficult issues. While it is important to deal with specific
legislation before Congress, "We are not here to take a stand"
but to work towards a plan of action that expresses the church's
prophetic role.

--James Solheim is director of the Office of News and Information
for the Episcopal Church.