From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC joins in call for 'faithful witness in a multi-faith context'

From George Conklin <gconklin@wfn.org>
Date 06 Jul 1999 13:07:39

United Church of Christ
Office of Communication
700 Prospect Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115
contact: Barbara Powell
phone: 216-736-2222
email: powellb@ucc.org
http://www.ucc.org

PROVIDENCE, RI - July 6 1999 -
UCC joins in call for 'faithful witness in a multi-faith context'

        A statement calling on church bodies to "work together and with the
broader ecumenical community" was received this afternoon during the 22nd
General Synod of the United Church of Christ. UCC delegates also asked its own
agencies to work towards a UCC statement on Interfaith Relations for their next
General Synod in 2001.
        The Interfaith Relations Commission of the National Council of Churches
of Christ in the USA (NCCUSA), of which the UCC is a member, developed the
statement and distributed the document to its member bodies for review and
response.
        "The United States is becoming a more religiously-diverse society,"
says
the Rev. Randi Walker of the UCC Council on Ecumenism. "We have done a lot
overseas [in working with other religious bodies], but there is much to do in
our own country."
        In considering the variety of faiths which are found in United States,
the statement declares, "We should recognize and consider the political aspects
of  others' religious claims and be ready to explain the religious roots of our
own behavior and policies.  How can we best live a life of faithful witness and
service in a multi-faith context?"
        The policy statement will be considered by all NCCUSA members. When
approved, the NCCUSA will make educational material available to promote
interfaith relations among all church bodies.  "Regardless of the NCCUSA
decision," Walker added, "we would want to receive this document for our own
study and reflection as we prepare our own statement."