From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Stavenger and Griesinger receive UCC Antoinette Brown award

From George Conklin <gconklin@wfn.org>
Date 06 Jul 1999 13:08:49

United Church of Christ
Office of Communication
700 Prospect Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115
contact: Barbara Powell
phone: 216-736-2222
email: powellb@ucc.org
http://www.ucc.org

PROVIDENCE, RI - July 6 1999 -
Stavenger and Griesinger receive Antoinette Brown award
by Pamela June Webb
        Two outstanding  clergywomen of the United Church of Christ  received
the honored Antoinette Brown Award from the Rev. Paul H. Sherry during the
“Women in Ministry Luncheon” July 3, sponsored by the Coordinating Center for
Women in Church and Society of the UCC.
        They are the Rev. Marilyn L. Stavenger, Professor for Field Education
and the Practice of Ministry at UCCrelated Eden Theological Seminary, Webster
Groves, Mo.; and the Rev. Jan Griesinger, Director of the United Campus
Ministry at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, and National Coordinator for
Christian Lesbians Out Together (CLOUT).
        “God’s claim upon my heart and loyalty has been led by many laypeople
through the church,” said Stavenger.  “My congregation’s ability to hold text
and context together in doing love and justice has been a guide to me.”
        Griesinger reflected on how it felt to be the only woman in her M.Div.
class of 1970 and perhaps the first woman ordained in her association.  She
spoke of gathering at the 1977 Synod with eight people who helped to form The
UCC Coalition for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns.
        “I accept the congratulations on behalf of women in ministry who are
still trying to find a call or decide whether to report sexual harassment,”
said Griesinger.  “I accept on behalf of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender
seminarian clergy who are still trying to find a call or survive harassment in
their community or get on the agenda for discussion.”
        “I thank God for the UCC,” Griesinger added.  “We didn’t get here
without a struggle.  And it’s not over.  I feel perhaps more than most, that
this Antoinette Brown award, given to me, honors the whole movement of people
lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and allies.  And I’d like all of us to
applaud that movement inside and outside of the church.”

The Rev. Pamela June Webb is a Disciples minister serving as intentional
interim pastor of St. John’s UCC, Newark, Ohio.