From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Answers to "What is the UCC General Synod Anyway?"

From George Conklin <gconklin@wfn.org>
Date 08 Jul 1999 09:06:17

United Church of Christ
Office of Communication
700 Prospect Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115
contact: Barbara Powell
phone: 216-736-2222
email: powellb@ucc.org
http://www.ucc.org

PROVIDENCE, RI - July 6 1999 -
The feel of General Synod...
by Irwin Smallwood and Meghan Davis
        A young first-timer at one of the United Church of Christ's biennial
gatherings once asked, only slightly in jest, "What is a General Synod,
anyway?"
        "It's a lot of things," a wise old Synod veteran standing nearby
replied, "but when it's all said and done, it's simply a feeling. It's the warm
feeling you get when you see an old friend you haven't laid eyes on in years.
It's the feeling of frustration you get when you can't get your point across in
deliberations. It's the feeling of pride when you hear all the great things the
denomination is doing. It's the feeling of chills running up your back at
worship. It's the feeling you get when ..."
        So it was that as delegates to General Synod 22 wound up their work
Tuesday, they expressed their feelings for what has transpired here the past
six days:
        SOPHIA DeWITT, a seminary student from the Northern California-Nevada
Conference: "It feels like a family gathering, but there are two feelings,
really. One is the feeling of the business meetings, and the other is the
feeling you get in worship as you remember you are here as one church
worshipping God together."
        ROLLIN RUSSELL, retiring Conference Minister, Southern Conference: "I
feel these delegates were well prepared and knew what they wanted."
        DIANE GAENEY, layperson from the Rhode Island Conference: "Very
smooth."
        TODD YONKMAN, layperson from Illinois Conference: "It's my first Synod
and I'm excited about the changes taking place. They (the leaders) are being
more responsive to the world around them."
        BARRY CASS, pastor from the Connecticut Conference: "It feels good.
Lots
of unity, lots of diversity. But my lasting impressions have been more visible
than feeling -- how we express our unity in the midst of all that."
        KEN WRIGHT, layperson from Vermont Conference: "I think people have
gotten a lot of weight and concerns off their minds. I believe things have
turned out better than most people thought they would."
        GAIL WELLS, clergy delegate from the Ohio Conference: "Feelings? You
mean other than being totally exhausted? I thought the worship services and
variety of music were very good, also the Blessed Interruptions and the
Theological Reflections."
        JASON HENDERSON, layperson from New Hampshire Conference: "I found
it to
have a very loving and caring presence that held each other in time of pain.
Also I found it very celebratory in moving ahead."
        GYNNI GILLIAM, layperson from Central Pacific Conference: "It was
wonderful. My favorite part was the worship services. They have been incredible
because of the different cultural and ethnic backgrounds they have introduced.
I wish they could have lasted longer."
        JILLIAN HOPPEL, layperson from Penn Northeast Conference: "I was a
little overwhelmed at first, but I now have a better understanding of how the
church works and how liberal it is. The diversity is facinating and uplifting,
and it makes me want to go home and tell everybody how good everything was. The
worship was so spiritual, so special."
        BELA POZNAN, Auxiliary Bishop of the Calvin Synod: "It was a tremendous
learning experience, a great time for fellowship and making new friends."
        JILL WHITE, layperson Central Atlantic Conference: "I think a lot has
been done that could have been moved out of the business sessions. The issues
will be taken home and are worth addressing."
        GAIL MONSON, layperson from South Dakota Conference: "It was very
interesting, realizing how involved the UCC is in current issues. I'm happy how
inclusive the church is."
        HAZEL STAMPS MOORE, layperson from South Central Conference:
"Seeing the
UCC in the broadest sense of the word, and also all the various efforts to cary
it into the world."
        SHIRLEY BIRKHOLZ, layperson from Wisconsin Conference: "It was great to
see the young people getting involved."
        FRANCES CARREON, layperson from Missouri Conference: "It's like a
coming
together of family. I hope we can take this spirit home with us."
        DAVID RAGAN, layperson from Southwest Conference; "I was impressed and
tired and proud to be a part of it. Seeing the Synod as a whole struggling with
cutting-edge issues and meeting the challenge was wonderful."
        ROBERT GILCHRIST, layperson from Washington-North Idaho Conference:
"There wasn't as much hype as I expected."
        CHRISTOPHER BURDICK, layperson from Penn Northeast Conference: "The
level of excitement and energy contributes to a very open atmosphere."
        JAMES GILLIS, layperson from Minnesota Conference: "It's facinating to
see how a body like this balances political and spiritual issues, and to watch
people struggle with that."
        RUTH VARNER, layperson from Southern Conference; "I'm feeling relieved
because I anticipated greater argument over the new leaders."
        TOM INGHAM, clergy from Iowa Conference: "I have a feeling good things
are going to come out of this, though not without some pain. I found it a good
affirmation of our new structure and leadership."
        KENNETH CROUCH, clergy from Indiana-Kentucky Conference: "We discussed
things that are not discussed back home, and it gave us some good things to
talk about, some valuable recommendations about subjects most of us don't take
time to study."
        PHYLIS HAND, layperson from Northern Plains Conference: "I found
renewal
for my faith. The views expressed by different people help you get on the right
path again. I liked the Bible studies and the Blessed Interruptions."