From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Women and International Women Engage in Bible Study

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 10 Jul 1999 08:43:29

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 10, 1999

ELCA WOMEN AND INTERNATIONAL WOMEN ENGAGE IN BIBLE STUDY
99-WO-09-MR

     ST. LOUIS (ELCA) -- Women from Brazil, Burma, Sri Lanka and
Tanzania led 4,000 participants through Bible study at the Fourth
Triennial Convention of Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) July 9.
     The convention is meeting here July 8-11 at the America's Center.
The organization's three-year theme, "Live God's Justice," is unveiled
at the convention amid Bible study, keynote addresses, workshops,
business sessions and elections.
     The Bible study called, "Live God's Justice: What is God's
Justice," was based on Bible verses from the book of Micah.  Stacy
Kitahata, dean of community for the Lutheran School of Theology at
Chicago (LSTC), guided the Bible study with LSTC international students
Frida Bagonza, Tanzania; Jessica Bocko, Tanzania; Tamara Mendis, Sri
Lanka; Iara Mueller, Brazil; Hniar Ngam, Burma; and Vung Do Pau, Burma.
     "The women in the international women's Bible study at LSTC are
from Asia, Africa, Latin America and Europe," said Kitahata.  "While
their backgrounds are as diverse as their cultures, most live much more
simply than we do in the United States.  English is their second, third
or fourth language, but it is one they have in common, and the language
in which they study the Bible together each Tuesday."
     "Because biblical justice demands transformation, together we take
a leap of faith and courage, ready for change in our hearts and our
spirits, and in the ordering of society.  It is a journey of a lifetime,
an adventure with God," she said.
     After verses in Micah were read by Kitahata, each member of the
international women's Bible study responded.
     "Seems like Americans change fast their clothes and furniture ...
there is an excess of money to spend.  I wonder if this way of life is
living God's justice.  Some people in the world do not have anything in
comparison to those living in the United States," said Mueller.
     "Material things are not that important.  We value the simpler
things.  We value relationships," said Mendis.
     "We study American culture, tradition and languages.  You look
like a big mountain, but do you know the power of mountains," said Ngam.
"I think we have connected to mountains" -- connection to nature, she
said.
     "To live God's justice is to stand for the poor and homeless
people.  God wants rich people, rich nations like the United States, to
live God's justice by solving homelessness," said Bagonza.
     "What does the Lord require to do justice?  What does justice mean
to us?" asked Bocko.  "Justice is the condition for peace.  We, as a
church, should train and educate on justice and peace."
     "Where I am from, all leading women face the problem of not being
respected, by virtue of being a woman," said Pau.
     The words of Micah declare God's vision of justice and our hope
for the days to come.  The prophet's words were not only for the people
of the Old Testament but for all people everywhere, said Kitahata.

For information contact: