From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Hamm recommended for second term as Disciples GMP

From "Disciples Off. of Communication"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 14 Jul 1999 10:21:39

Date: July 14, 1999
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
E-mail: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

99b-47

	FORT WORTH (DNS) -- A nearly unanimous vote July 11 by the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ) General Board endorsed the Rev. Richard L. Hamm for a
second, six-year term as general minister and president.

	Hamm received 100 "yes" votes, no opposing votes, and one abstention in a
secret ballot during the July 10-12 meeting here. Final action on Hamm's
reelection will be taken by the Disciples General Assembly, meeting Oct. 8-12
in Cincinnati.

	Other highlights included the installation of Lois Artis Murray as associate
general minister and Church Finance Council president and the International
Christian Youth Fellowship assembly, meeting July 7-11 at Texas Christian
University, here.

	The past six years have been devoted to building trust and mission over
survival, according to Hamm. With those efforts have come significant change
for the Indianapolis-based denomination. Among the accomplishments Hamm cited
was:
* the church's move to leased downtown facilities;
* revisions to the resolution process and development of the discernment
process;
* restructure of the General Board and expansion of the General Cabinet;
*changes in the mission funding system;
* implementation of biennial planning conferences;
* a shift enabling the General Assembly to resource congregations for mission;
and
* identification of the Mission Imperatives.

	 "We have a long way to go, surely," Hamm said. "But I believe that through
the Mission Imperatives, through the process of discernment, through the
rebuilding of trust ...  we now have enough clarity to move forward into God's
new day for us."

	That new day, said the Disciples leader, is represented by a church that
"manifests deep Christian spirituality, true community and a passion for
justice." It would look like the covenantal church described by The Design of
the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

	"No leader knows today exactly what the future holds or exactly how God will
get us to it," said Hamm. "But, I believe we have enough clarity to understand
that God as an important place for us in the new world, in the new millennium,
and that we will get there if we move with faithfulness and commitment."

	Nearly 1,100 young people from 28 disciples regions gathered for the third
ICYF event, "Gifts of Hands and Heart." They spent six days in fellowship,
worship, learning experiences and a variety of community service projects. The
centerpiece project was the "blitz build" of a new home for a Fort Worth
family.

	Murray began her new ministry May 10 after serving as assistant secretary for
administration with the North Carolina Department of Environmental and Natural
Resources in Raleigh. The certified public accountant also worked in higher
education and in congregational ministry with her husband, the Rev. Samuel
Murray. From 1996-1999 they were co-pastors of St. Andrews Christian Church,
Dudley, N.C.

"Sense-of-the-assembly" resolutions
	In other action, the board backed "sense-of-the-assembly" resolutions calling
for closure of the School of the Americas, canceling debts for impoverished
nations and urging universal health care.

	The School of the Americas, based in Fort Benning, Ga., allegedly has trained
terrorists responsible for numerous incidents of violence and human rights
abuse in Central and South America, according to supporters of the resolution.
The military installation reportedly receives all of its funding from the
United States government.

	"Just knowing that the school exists . . .  when we're to be defenders of
freedom and democracy really angers me," said the Rev. Eric Brown, Dallas,
Texas, in support of the measure.

	The recommendation to close the school is consistent with the position taken
by the Division of Overseas Ministries' Latin America and the Caribbean office,
according to the Rev. Patricia Tucker Spier. "We have long advocated for
this."

	The Jubilee 2000 movement, started in Great Britain in 1996, draws on the Old
Testament tradition of canceling all debt and returning all land to its
original owners in Israel every 50 years.

	Crushing debt obligations today rob developing nations' citizens of adequate
social services, health care and education. Resolution 9914, if approved by the
General Assembly, would add its voice to "those of other concerned persons and
faith communities around the world through Jubilee 2000  in calling for the
cancellation of the external debts of the most indebted countries of the
world."

	The resolution "On Health Care in the United States," asks Disciples to "work
for the establishment of health care for all, regardless of the ability to
pay," support related public policy, and advocate for public and private
initiatives for treatment of long- and short-term illnesses and physical and
mental disabilities. The resolution also seeks a balance between cost
containment and equitable service.

	The plenary body also recommended adoption of initiatives that support a land
mine ban treaty, reaffirm the Disciples' commitment to religious freedom and
voice concern for incidents of violence that involve and affect children. The
Disciples General Assembly will take final action on all
"sense-of-the-assembly" resolutions when it convenes in October.

	Resolution 9916, submitted by Downey Avenue Christian Church, Indianapolis,
calls for the General Assembly to call on President Clinton to sign the "Ottawa
Treaty" and for Congress to ratify it.  The treaty bans production, use or
stockpiling of anti-personnel land mines. It also calls for the destruction of
existing stockpiles in four years.

	According to ABC News, all members of the NATO alliance now support the
treaty, signed March 1, with the exception of Turkey and the United States.

	While the recommendation to General Assembly had overwhelming General Board
support, it was not unanimous.  Vietnam war veteran Milton Summerall, Augusta,
Ga., told board members that land mines saved his life at least three times in
Vietnam. He said he could not support a total ban on the production and use of
those tools of war.

	"In Support of Religious Freedom" asks the assembly to reaffirm a previous
pronouncement by the plenary body; and urges the whole church to educate and
encourage Disciples members concerning religious liberty, and advocate justice
in education for children by supporting public education.

	"Promoting the Safety of Children," asks all expressions of the church to
designate 2000 for addressing issues related to the impact of violence on
children; requests that study and worship resources be developed for
congregations; and that a task force be convened to develop a long-range
strategy for the next year's emphasis.

                                   	-- end --