From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

California churches giving away free gun locks

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 21 Jul 1999 18:38:39

July 21, 1999	News media contact: Thomas S.
McAnally*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.    10-71B{381}

By United Methodist News Service

As an outgrowth of a jointly sponsored series of public forums on societal
issues,  two neighboring congregations in Glendora, Calif., are distributing
free gun locks.

The United Methodist and Christian (Disciples of Christ) congregations were
sponsoring a forum on teen drug abuse at the time of the Columbine High
School shooting tragedy in Littleton, Colo., said the Rev. Doug Hodson,
pastor of the United Methodist Church. "We then decided to do something on
teen violence."

As they were planning, the Rev. Karen Komsak Davis, pastor of the Christian
Church, said she had heard that the mayor of San Diego was providing trigger
locks free. "Why don't we do that?" she asked.

Distribution of the locks began July 12. Within 10 days, the two churches
had given out 50 locks and were surprised to be the focus of national media
attention.

"We began by ordering 200 locks and issuing  press releases," Hodson said.
"One regional paper did a front-page story. CNN came out over the weekend.
National Public Radio did an interview. The Los Angeles Times ran a story in
its metro section, and all the local TV channels have been out. Thursday I
did 10 interviews."

As a result of the media attention, the two congregations have received
unusual support, even from the National Rifle Association (NRA). The owner
of a gun range in Las Vegas donated 180 trigger locks and put the Glendora
people in touch with the manufacturer.

After the NPR piece ran, a man called on a cell phone from the New Jersey
turnpike offering to contribute, Hodson said.

The original plan was to buy trigger locks from a local discount store, but
Hodson said the particular model would still allow individuals to load the
gun.

"We've learned a lot about locking firearms," he said. "Safety people from
the NRA have been very helpful. They suggested cable locks that go through
the barrel, trigger and chamber mechanism. You can't load the gun with this
lock installed."

The manufacturer of the cable locks has participated in a number of similar
give-aways, Hodson said. "They gave us 180. We have purchased others for
$1.80 each."

Glendora city officials have offered the two churches a free booth at a
weekly street fair and farmers' market July 22, where they can give away the
locks.

"Our objective is to give all 380 of these locks away," said Hodson who does
not own a gun.  "We're encouraging the police officers' association and
other groups to do the same. We hope people will think about the firearms
they have in their houses. A loaded gun in the house is dangerous. They must
be unloaded."

# # #

United Methodist News Service
http://www.umc.org/umns/