From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Book series promotes study of religion

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 30 Jul 1999 06:01:11

July 29, 1999 News media contact: Linda Bloom**(212) 870-3803**New York
10-71B{397}

By United Methodist News Service

The response of teachers to a new series of books on religion has ranged
"from enthusiastic to ecstatic," according to a Freedom Forum scholar
involved in the project.

Charles Haynes, senior scholar with religious freedom programs at the
Freedom Forum First Amendment Center in Arlington, Va., has written Teaching
About Religion in American Life: A First Amendment Guide. The Freedom Forum
is holding workshops for teachers to encourage use of Oxford University
Press' "Religion in American Life" series and other resources about
religion. In addition to his First Amendment Center work, Haynes writes a
weekly column on religious liberty issues, "Finding Common Ground," for
Gannett News Service.

The motivation is to live up to the First Amendment by being fair and open
to various perspectives, Haynes told United Methodist News Service in a July
27 interview. Many people think that being neutral about religion means
leaving it out of the public schools, he explained.

But, he added, "If we ignore religious perspectives and ideas and events,
then we're not really neutral, we're hostile."

Haynes believes that one of America's greatest challenges in the next
century will be living together despite religious differences.

"Part of the answer has to be in learning about one another and being
informed about who our fellow citizens are and what they believe," he said.

United Methodists and other denominations "should have a vested interest" in
promoting religion as a serious academic subject in public schools in a way
that can be both constitutional and accurate. Currently, Haynes pointed out,
"the curriculum virtually ignores who they are."

In the preface to A First Amendment Guide, Haynes notes that because of this
academic neglect "many teachers are unprepared or hesitant to teach their
students much about religion." But, he adds, "All that may be about to
change. A new consensus supported by the leadership of many religious and
educational organizations sees the study of religion as essential if
students are to be educated about our history and culture."

In California, for example, new state educational standards include the
study of religion. But finding age-appropriate and scholarly materials to
teach religion has been difficult for the average teacher.

The 17-volume "Religion in American Life" series from Oxford University
Press is presented in chronological, denominational and topical order,
allowing teachers and students to approach religion from a variety of
perspectives.

Three of the volumes trace U.S. religious history from the colonial period
to the present; nine volumes cover significant religious groups in America;
and four volumes address specific topics related to the role of religion in
American society. The last volume is a biographical supplement and series
index. Different volumes could be used in a variety of courses, including
American history, civics, government, world history, geography and
literature.

Single copies of A First Amendment Guide are available for free through the
First Amendment Center, 1207 18th Ave. S., Nashville, TN 37212, or by
calling (615) 321-9588. More details on the series can be found online at
www.freedomforum.org/religion/resources/resources.asp.

# # #

United Methodist News Service
http://www.umc.org/umns/