From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

College News

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:12:46

4-May-1999
99176

    College News

    by Evan Silverstein

EASTON, Pa. - Maya Angelou, a world-renowned author, educator, producer,
director, actress, and civil-rights activist, will be principal speaker at
Lafayette College's 164th Commencement on May   22, and will be awarded an
honorary Lafayette degree. Angelou is Reynolds Professor of American
Studies at Wake Forest University, a lifetime post to which she was
appointed in 1981.

    She is the author of 11 best-selling books, including "I Know Why the
Caged Bird Sings." Perhaps her best-known work, this autobiographical
account of her childhood, published in 1970, was nominated for a National
Book Award.  Two volumes of her poetry, "Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water
'fore I Diiie" (1971) and "And Still I Rise" (1978), were nominated for the
Pulitzer Prize. Angelou is the first woman and the first African American
to read her work at the inauguration of a U.S. president. She read her poem
"On the Pulse of Morning," composed for the occasion, at Bill Clinton's
inauguration in January 1993. Angelou won a Grammy Award for best spoken
word or non-traditional album for her recording of the poem.

    As a screenwriter, director, and actress Angelou has been a
ground-breaker for black women in the film industry. She recently directed
her first feature-length film, "Down in the Delta," a family drama starring
Alfre Woodard and Wesley Snipes, which opened nationwide last Christmas
day.  Her accomplishments in television are equally significant. She has
made hundreds of appearances on network and local TV talk shows and has
appeared on such programs as "Sesame Street" and "Touched by an Angel."

PORTLAND, Ore. - Lewis & Clark College has received a $1.25-million gift
from the Mary Stuart Rogers Foundation and $250,000 from an anonymous donor
to endow the John S. Rogers Science Research Program, the college announced
in April. The endowment will support the collaborative research of five
student-faculty groups for 10 weeks every summer. Each research group
typically includes a faculty member and one to three undergraduates.

    The Rogers Science Research Program continues the college's commitment
to faculty-student summer science research, initiated in 1991 and renewed
in 1994 with grants from the M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust. The grants
provided seed money to launch long-term research projects, sustained
through more than $2 million in external funding. To receive the grant,
faculty members submit proposals to a steering committee. Grant recipients
select their research teams from student applications based on classroom
achievement and research interest.

    "The grants open up a realm of new creative possibilities for students
serious about careers in science, medicine, engineering, high-tech and
academe," said Michael Mooney, president of Lewis & Clark College.

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Macalester College biology professor Dan Hornbach has
been selected Macalester's new provost, which is the school's chief
academic officer. Hornbach, who has been at Macalester for 14 years,
returns to a job he first held from 1993-95. He succeeds Wayne Roberts, who
after four years as provost, will return to teach in the mathematics and
Computer Science Department.

    The new provost said he hopes to focus, among other things, on planning
for the future, including working with the faculty to "review the
curriculum as we move into the next century to make sure it's flexible
enough to deal with interdisciplinary concerns." In addition to teaching,
Hornbach has been an extremely active author and researcher.

    He earned his Ph.D. in zoology from Miami (Ohio) University and came to
Macalester in 1984 after teaching at the University of Virginia. He became
a full professor in 1993. He was named DeWitt Wallace Professor of Biology
in 1997 and has been chairman of the Biology Department since 1996.

BATESVILLE, Ark. - Beginning next spring, women athletes will have another
opportunity to get into the swing of things in the Lyon College athletic
department. Lyon will field a woman's golf-team starting the 1999-2000
school year. Lyon College Athletic Director Terry Garner said Randy
Gatling, who has served as the men's golf coach the past few seasons as
well as the women's basketball coach, will move over to coach the new
women's golf team. Men's basketball coach Kevin Jenkins will take over the
men's golf duties.

    Garner said he believes there is already some interest in the program
on campus. Over the next few weeks they will try to find women who may be
interested in playing on a club team to compete in a few matches this
spring.

    "We'd like to get a few matches just to get some interest in the
program," Garner said. "We did some surveying earlier this year and found
some interest among current students. I'm not sure of the talent level, but
I think we have a few on campus who can play competitive golf who might be
interested in participating."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org