From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA STATEMENT: L.A. JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER ATTACK

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 11 Aug 1999 12:04:09

NCCCUSA Statement: LA Jewish Community Center Attack

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.

Internet: news@ncccusa.org
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227

NCC8/11/99 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Statement of NCCC General Secretary
on Attack on Jewish Community Center in Los Angeles

August 11, 1999

Yet again we witness the shooting of innocent
people, singled out as the targets of hate and
violence because of their ethnic identity.  This
time, the city is Los Angeles, and the target Jewish
children and adults in a Jewish community center.
As a mother and grandmother, but even more as a
Christian, I am deeply saddened and outraged by this
attack.

May God be with the victims and their families,
including the family of Joseph Ileto, killed just
outside the center.  May God's healing presence be
with you, and with the community affected by this
act.

Acts such as this, motivated by hatred based on
religious and racial prejudice, are acts aimed at us
all.  As Christians, we condemn such violence as
sinful, contrary to God's will that we love one
another as children of the One God.

On this day we stand with our Jewish sisters and
brothers against such senseless violence.  In light
of the events in Los Angeles and Chicago, we call
our churches and this Council to redouble our
efforts to combat the religious and racial prejudice
that has led to these deaths.  May all of us,
together, join hands to respond to the violence
which seems to be engulfing us, and to be the
builders of the beloved community which God intends.

(The Rev. Dr.) Joan Brown Campbell
General Secretary

 -0-