From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Global Mission Event Speakers Focus on "Walking Together" Theme

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 11 Aug 1999 13:16:54

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 11, 1999

GLOBAL MISSION EVENT SPEAKERS FOCUS ON "WALKING TOGETHER" THEME
99-203-JB

     LINCOLN, Neb. (ELCA)   More than 2,400 people attended the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) 1999 Global Mission Events
and heard speakers address the church's mission in the new millennium
and a variety of social justice issues in the United States and abroad.
     Global Mission Events (GMEs) were held this summer at Purdue
University, West Lafayette, Ind., the Marriott World Center, Orlando,
Fla. and here at the University of Nebraska.  GMEs are sponsored by the
ELCA Division for Global Mission with support from other ELCA units.
Volunteer committees at each site help organize the GMEs.
      Featured speakers addressed the GME theme, "Walking Together Into
the Next Century," based on the Gospel story of two disciples on the
road to Emmaus after Jesus' crucifixion.
     A featured speaker was the Rev. David M. Beckmann, an ELCA pastor
who is president of Bread for the World, a 44,000-member organization of
Christian citizens united against hunger.  The U.S. government must
provide greater leadership to alleviate hunger, and mission-minded
Christians must get involved in "the politics of hunger," Beckmann said.
Presently, the United States " is not walking with the whole human
family," he said, adding that nearly 800 million people in the world
cannot adequately feed themselves.
     "Overall, the U.S. contribution to international development
assistance amounts to about one-fifth of one percent of our national
income," Beckmann said. "That's a lower percentage of our national
income than any of the other industrialized nations."
     Christians should "push" the government to make it more
responsible to poor people, Beckmann urged.
     A proposal known as Jubilee 2000 is supported by Bread for the
World, the ELCA through its Lutheran Office for Governmental Affairs and
several other Christian organizations, Beckmann said.  It calls on the
world's richest nations   including the United States   to provide
significant relief of international debts held by the world's poorest
countries.  The idea was suggested several years ago by Pope John Paul
II and Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa, based on the "jubilee"
passage in the book of Leviticus in the Bible.
     Earlier this year, leaders of seven of the world's richest
countries, including President Clinton, agreed in principle on
international debt reduction.  Congress must also approve, Beckmann
said.  H.R. 1095, the Debt Relief for Poverty Reduction Act, is before
the U.S. House of Representatives, and supporters are hoping it will be
introduced soon in the U.S. Senate.
     "This campaign has a lot of support all across the churches and
among people of good will outside the churches," Beckmann said. "We've
been able to make a lot of political progress on an issue that seemed
like it was hopeless initially."
     Jubilee 2000 and other initiatives to help the poor are part of
the mission of God's people in the world, Beckmann said.
     "It's important Christians don't do this out of guilt," he said.
"We do it because we have been fed, we have been blessed, we have been
forgiven, and we have been embraced by God.  That helps us to share."
     Another featured speaker was Pauline Nygard, an American who grew
up in the African nations of Cameroon and Senegal.  She shared her
childhood experiences as the daughter of two ELCA missionaries, the Rev.
Mark L. and Linda Nygard, who still serve in Senegal.  She is now a
student at the ELCA's Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn.
     Nygard suggested all Christians are missionaries, including young
children.  "I was a missionary then as I am now," she said. "The spirit
of a missionary changes a person forever.
Being sent forth by God is the nature of being connected with Christ."
     Nygard said she made many lasting friendships with others in
Cameroon and Senegal.
"I walked with people with integrity and Christian commitment," she
said.
     Nygard said missionaries are "bridges which tie countries and
cultures together" and offer links "between the comfortable and
uncomfortable."
     Nygard, who is considering a vocation in the church, urged GME
participants to share their talents and abilities as missionaries in
their daily lives.
     Dr. Mercy Amba Oduyoye, professor and founder of the Institute of
Women in Religion and Culture, Trinity Theological College, Accra,
Ghana, shared her perspectives on the GME theme.  Africans find ways to
express joy, despite economic and social difficulties, she said.
     "It's the grace of God that generates joy in the midst of needs,"
Oduyoye said.
     Focusing on the Gospel of Luke, she asked the participants if the
church is willing to "walk with those who are poor in the midst of
plenty."
     "How are we going to walk together with people who see nothing but
profit?" she added.
One answer is to study the Bible, Oduyoye said.
     "We cannot do the will of God and walk together into the next
century if we ignore intense study of Scripture," she said. "For our
journey, we need to study together."
     "Each one of us   including myself   have to hold ourselves
accountable to God for the great things God has done in our lives,"
Oduyoye said. "If your heart burns within you, God is walking by you and
God is talking to you."
     The Rev. Ruben Duran, executive for congregational outreach
services, ELCA Division for Outreach, said the story in the Gospel of
Luke is significant for all Christians.
     "Something happened on the road to Emmaus that changed the course
of human history," he said, as he preached at the closing worship
service. "They (the story's two disciples) received  'burning hearts'."
     Duran compared the text to the 12-year history of the ELCA, saying
its members are beginning to talk seriously about mission and outreach.
Global Mission Events provide the ELCA an opportunity to "practice
global community," he said.
     "It's time to wake up and get on with the job we are called to
do," Duran said.  "Pray with me that this group representing the ELCA
can leave this place with a burning heart."
     There are two Global Mission Events planned for 2000.  One is
scheduled July 13-16 at Tacoma, Wash., and the other is set for July 20-23
at a site to be announced.

For information contact: