From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Denmark: Adventists Take to the Street

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Aug 1999 23:57:39

August 13, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Denmark: Adventists Take to the Street

Copenhagen, Denmark/APD    Street Evangelism Week in Denmark
saw about 60 young Adventists from all over Denmark join together
with a newly-established church "Caféchurch" in Copenhagen, July
9-18.  Caféchurch has been in existence for a year and is reaching
genXers with the Word of God in a café setting.

The Youth department of the Danish Union of Churches helped to
plan this year's street evangelism project.  Every morning the young
people attended workshops, and every afternoon they went out
onto the pedestrian areas with music, mime, puppetry and
questionnaires.

"The last six years have not yielded such a positive response as
we've experienced during this particular week," comments union
Youth director, Pastor Anne-May Müller.  "It was very encouraging
to actually see those young people who were contacted on the
streets attending the seeker services."

Seeker services were planned three times during the week and were
all well visited.  The last service was held on Sabbath afternoon
where between 20 and 30 unchurched people were in attendance.

"Friday evening we had planned a concert at the Town Hall Square
featuring a famous Danish artist, Marie Carmen Koppel," says
Thomas Müller, one of the pastors at Caféchurch, "but because of
the rain we had to change the venue of the concert to the church.
Much to our surprise more than 300 people took the ten-minute
walk from the Square to Caféchurch.  Unfortunately, we had to
deny access to about 50 of them because the place was packed.
The concert gave a very good impression of the church and we
believe that people will be more interested in visiting Caféchurch
now that they have seen the nice surroundings."

"Besides filling young Adventists spiritually, this street evangelism
week has given Caféchurch good public relations, and we look
forward to seeing how the Holy Spirit will continue to work with the
people in Copenhagen," concludes Müller.  [97/12/09]