From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Refugee Adventist Pastor Returns to Her Home in Kosovo

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Aug 1999 23:57:47

August 13, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Refugee Adventist Pastor Returns to Her Home in Kosovo

Djakovica, Kosovo/APD    Seventh-day Adventist pastor Dijana Daka
has returned to her home in Kosovo from Albania to find all the
members and friends of her church in Djakovica alive and well.

"We have all returned to our place," says Daka, "and although we
found our houses destroyed we are happy that we found Jesus who
keeps us together and gives us hope for the future."

Now she says that the church members are ready to continue
worshipping and giving praise to their God and Saviour who was
with them during a very difficult time.

Daka lost all communication with the Church leaders for almost four
weeks during the military conflict in Kosovo until, on the evening of
May 4, 1999, she was seen among a group of refugees in Kukes,
Albania on a news broadcast in England.  While staying in Albania,
Daka worked in the Flore church as an assistant pastor.

Daka is now back in Djakovica where she was instrumental in
establishing a new church last year.  After several evangelistic
campaigns and various seminars, Daka had the joy of ministering to
35 adults and about 20 children who attended worships and special
meetings. Daka was very successful in ministering to the mainly
Muslim community.  A number of evangelists and visiting lecturers,
including Dr Radisa Antic, president of the Seventh-day Adventist
Church in Yugoslavia, and Pastor Martin Anthony, personal
ministries director at the Trans-European Division, helped her to
establish this group.

Unfortunately, with the onset of the war in the Balkans, her ministry
in Djakovica was put on hold, but not for long. Despite the
hardships encountered fleeing Kosovo, she maintained her
commitment to return and carry on with her ministry.

Sadly the violence has affected many. Daka reports that as a result
of this war, an 18-year-old man, whose mother is a member of the
Djakovica Seventh-day Adventist Church, became mentally ill.

"I was also shocked when I heard that my sister in Christ, Mileva
Vujosevic from Pec, was brutally killed," added Daka, and
continued, "During this time of hatred, our role is to talk to the
people about the importance of forgiveness and reconciliation."

Daka is extremely thankful to Church leaders and members around
the region who helped them through this time of trouble. Her plea is
for materials to aid her ministry in this damaged community.

"We need Bibles, literature and a baptistry to continue our work in
Kosovo," she concludes.  [98/12/03]