From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterians Help Families Affected by Colorado Rampage

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:08:34

21-April-1999
99160

    Presbyterians Help Families
    Affected by Colorado Rampage

    by John Filiatreau

LITTLETON, Colo. - The five Presbyterian churches of Littleton have been
ministering to families affected by a murderous shooting spree in a local
high school April 20.

    Fifteen people were killed and more than 25 others were hospitalized in
serious or critical condition after two disgruntled junior students opened
fire on students and staff members at Columbine High School.

    Bob Barnes, a representative of the Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
program with extensive experience in critical-incident stress debriefing
and other trauma work, was on the scene by Wednesday afternoon.

    Barnes' assignment was to "assess the situation and see what needs to
be done," according to Stanley Hankins, the Worldwide Ministries Division's
associate for disaster assistance in the United States.  Hankins told the
Presbyterian News Service that the church stands ready to use its resources
to address the short- and long-term needs of the people of Littleton.

    The five churches are St. James Presbyterian, First Presbyterian,
Genesis Presbyterian, Grace Presbyterian, and Columbine United
Presbyterian, an ecumenical church with members who belong to the
Presbyterian, Methodist and United Church of Christ denominations.

    The Rev. Janet Schlenker, stated clerk of Denver Presbytery, said that
one of the students shot and wounded in the attack was a member of
Columbine United Presbyterian. Schlenker said April 21 that student was in
critical condition.

    She said presbytery officials were not aware of any other victims who
belonged to Presbyterian congregations, but information was sketchy.

    "We have not even been able to make contact with the pastors of our
churches," Schlenker said. "They have been on the scene, out in the
community."

    She said the Littleton schools have open enrollment, which means that
students from all parts of the city attend Columbine High. All Littleton
schools were shut down Wednesday, but many had opened their doors to
youngsters and families needing a place to gather.

    Schlenker said the Columbine church had become a gathering place and
"disbursement center" for disaster-aid workers. She said the presbytery had
assigned pastors, pastoral staff, retired ministers and youth ministers to
several other places in the community where families affected by the
shootings were gathering.

    She said one of the churches had had a special service Tuesday night
and another was planning a service for Wednesday evening. Two of the
churches scheduled a joint service for Sunday evening, at the high school
if possible.

    The Rev. Ed Craxton, associate for Christian education in the
Congregational Ministries Division, said a group of 12 to 15 people
representing the three ministerial divisions of the General Assembly
Council - Congregational, National and Worldwide - met Wednesday morning in
a brainstorming session to plan the denomination's response to the tragedy
in Colorado and "collect the resources that would be helpful."

    "We're trying to respond to the needs of Presbyterian congregations
around the country," Craxton said. "Just this morning, our youth department
has had more than 35 calls, many from congregations that have youth group
meetings scheduled for tonight."

    He said Congregational Ministries is offering liturgical resources,
including prayers and scripture readings, for use in services this Sunday.

    "I'd say the primary need right now is for all of us to hold those
[Littleton] families and youth in our prayers," Craxton said.

    Hankins said Presbyterian Disaster Assistance was making available
"printed resources and also "human resources" for people affected directly
or indirectly by the shootings, but there was no need to set up a special
disaster-aid account for the Littleton victims.

    Asked what concerned Presbyterians might do to help, he replied, "I
would say pray for the community and for the families that have lost
children and loved ones."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org