From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Conference Explores Past, Present, Future of Missions Overseas

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:13:33

14-May-1999
99187

    Conference Explores Past, Present, Future
    of Presbyterian Missions Overseas - Part One

    by John Filiatreau, Evan Silverstein and Jerry L. Van Marter

 Once from a European shore men sailed to find and rule the earth,
 to purchase slave with bales of cloth, or claim a civilizing law.
 Give thanks that some upon that tide, with faith and failings like our
own,
 went out to preach in lands unknown that Christ for all the world had
died.
                            - Brian Wren

FLOYD'S KNOBS, Ind. - Participants in a May 10-12 Overseas Mission History
Conference at the Franciscan Retreat House in Southern Indiana assessed the
state of Presbyterian missions around the world at the dawn of a new
millennium, and tried to envision the missions of the 21st century.

    In the conference, subtitled "Reviewing the Past, Assessing the Present
and Inventing the Future," speakers drawn from the ranks of long-time
Presbyterian missionaries discussed the recent history of four major
mission regions - China, the Middle East, India and Latin America - and
surveyed two broader, global topics: "Women in Mission," and "An Overview
of (Presbyterian) Mission Policy Since the Reunion of 1983."

    The conference "presenters" and "responders" touched upon several
common themes in talking about the current state of foreign missions:

    * The rise of ecumenism and the decline of denominationalism;
    * Female enfranchisement after centuries of male domination;
    * Nations' assertions of rights to self-determination after centuries
of Western imperialism and colonialism;
    * Increasing Christian identification with people who are poor,
exploited and marginalized, which pushes missionary work "more and more
into the ethical arena";
    * The replacement of "aggressive evangelism" by missions of Christian
service, witness and "presence";
    * An effort to educate millions of "appallingly ignorant" Americans
about foreign cultures;
    * A pressing need for the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to recruit,
train and challenge a new generation of missionaries to take up the task of
carrying the message of the Gospel to the ends of the Earth.

    "Let us remember," one speaker said, "that the Acts of the Apostles is
still the book in the Bible that has never been completed!"

    About 50 Presbyterians, most of them former foreign missionaries or
representatives of the Worldwide Ministries Division (WMD), listened to the
presentations and joined in the discussions that ensued. The conference was
co-sponsored by WMD and the PC(USA) Department of History.

   "Towards an Overseas Christian Presence in Twenty-First Century China"

    Franklin J. Woo, a former missionary in China and a former director of
the China Program of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A. (1976-1993), pointed out that "in the last half-century ... under
Communist rule, Protestant Christianity ... has increased (by) more than 20
times, without any assistance from Western missionaries."

    The causes of this increase, he said, include "the value crisis left by
the demise of Marxist-Maoist ideology after the Cultural Revolution
(1966-1976); the effective witness of ordinary Christians in their work
places; and the association of Christianity with modernization."

    A major complication, he said, is the "historical reality" of "the
unfortunate coincidence of the Imperial Age with (the) Industrial
Revolution."

    "From China's perspective, the Protestant Gospel and Western gunboats
(with opium) came to China simultaneously in the early 19th century," Woo
said, reading from his paper. "Missionaries were seen as part and parcel of
Western aggression in China."

    He added: "To see the ambiguity of the missionary enterprise is not to
denigrate a glorious tradition nor to diminish the Gospel."

    Woo said the rise of science and technology has brought us "an era of
irony in which the poor of the world seem to be getting poorer at the same
time that the rich are getting richer." He said this presents a challenge
to Christianity:

    "While we participate in China's modernization effort wherever and
whenever invited to do so, we must be also forever cognizant of the
injustices in the world that separate the poor from the rich, and we must
stand in solidarity with the poor."

    In her response, Jean Woo, Franklin's wife and missionary partner,
agreed that Christianity has thrived in China in recent decades. She quoted
one Chinese official's report to a group of American pastors "that since
1979, churches have been either newly built or reopened in China at the
astonishing rate of six and a half churches every day," and that "over 20
million copies of the Bible (were) printed between December 1987 and March
1999," making it a best-seller by any standard.

    "Chinese Christians are for the large part theologically conservative,"
she said, pointing out that many believe in such practices as putting the
Bible under one's pillow to cure a headache. "They are marked by an
uncomplicated faith and a simple love for Jesus - unique characteristics
that we cannot help but admire and respect.  But this conservatism, or
`fundamentalism,' as senior Chinese leaders call it ... (leads to) a narrow
and literal interpretation of scriptures, anti-intellectualism,
preoccupation with piety, divisiveness, and lack of social concern."

    Jean Woo said the church must respect "the self-hood of the Chinese
Church."

    "Sending missionaries to China is not in the foreseeable future," she
said, adding that our "Christian presence" there should continue through
"people-to-people exchanges" and participation in programs of "education,
social welfare, rural development, medical and health-care (improvements)
and disaster relief."

    One respondent said a Chinese bishop and spokesman for the China
Christian Council "has said that Chinese culture is more open to
Christianity today than it has been in the last twelve-hundred years."

            "An Ecumenical Mission Strategy for Latin America"

    John H. Sinclair, a Presbyterian who served as mission board secretary
of the United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. (1960-1973), espoused a
brand of ecumenism rooted in "the Protestant inheritance of freedom and
self-identity," an ecumenism that would reach even beyond Christianity.

    "We have within our circle of friends and spiritual kin the Mayans in
Central America, the Quechuas and Aymaras in the Andes, and the blacks in
Brazil and Cuba," he said. "We still can connect with the sons and
daughters of Latin Americans who are now caught up with Oriental
spirituality and New Age cults."

    Sinclair pointed out that the Roman Catholic Church, after Vatican II,
observed that Protestants are "only separated brothers and sisters in the
Christian family"; and spoke of the rapid growth of Pentecostalism in Latin
America. "We must repent of caricatures and indifference toward
Pentecostals," he said. "We have not given due attention to the work of the
Holy Spirit outside our traditional denominations."

    Defining ecumenism as "a common commitment to the search for Christian
unity through mission," Sinclair said the ecumenical scene is changing
rapidly today:

    "We must move on to a new century with new attitudes and more flexible
ecumenical structures. ... The role of ecumenical organizations in the
coming decade may well be to serve as a coordinating and information center
for Christian organizations, helping them to pool their efforts to move the
church beyond the personal evangelism and church planting of the 20th
century."

    He said the ecumenical dialogue of our times "pushes us, as churches,
more and more into the ethical arena. ... Sadly, we are often more
interested in defending our denominational past than in taking our place in
the emerging ecumenical future."

    Finally, he pointed out some factors that work against ecumenism in
Latin America.

    "National councils of churches ... should have been the centers for
ecumenical dialogue, but were ... largely mired in petty in-house politics.
 ... Ecumenical strategies for Latin America had to deal with a backlog of
fierce denominationalism and stubborn resistance to constructive relations
with Roman Catholics. ...

    "Few of the Presbyterian denominations in Latin America are even today
members of the World Council of Churches."

            "Demise and Revival of Rural Mission in North India"

    In a voice choked with emotion, Robert Alter recounted the January day
in 1966 when he handed out severance checks to 51 Indian pastors and
teachers in his front yard in Etah, Uttar Pradesh - what he called "the
final act in what was the demise" of the Rural Church Program of the United
Church of North India.

    The churches were products of "mass movements" of low-caste Indians,
particularly the Lal Begis - an "untouchable" class of people who eked out
subsistence living by cleaning latrines and cesspools. Presbyterian
missionaries at first were reluctant to baptize them, Alter said, because
the conventional missionary wisdom was to convert high-caste Hindus first
and let Christianity "trickle down" to the lower castes. "To start the
other way around," he said, "would only impede the desired conversion of
higher-caste Hindus."

    The fate of the rural church in North India was sealed shortly after
the Presbyterian merger in 1958, when a newly created Commission on
Ecumenical Mission and Relations (COEMAR) of the United Presbyterian Church
in the United States of America adopted a new policy requiring overseas
pastoral ministries to be self-supporting. "We were determined to break the
pattern of dependency," recalled Don Black, who was on the COEMAR staff at
that time.

    "This meant virtually the end of the rural church in India as we had
known it," Alter said.

    Because the Lal Begis were very poor and lived in widely scattered
families, organizing congregations and presbyteries "wasn't going to work,"
explained Alter, who was born in India and worked there as a missionary
with his wife, Ellen, for more than 40 years. So pastors and teachers were
paid for by the mission, not by the Indian church - an arrangement that was
unacceptable under the new COEMAR policy.

    Ironically, added John Webster, who served as a missionary in India
from 1963 to 1981, the "mass movement" of rural, lower-caste Indians to
Christianity has caught fire again in recent years.  This "resurrection
movement," he added, "is much closer to the original vision of a
self-supporting, self-propagating Christian church than the rural church
that was left to die in 1966."

    The new movement received considerable funding from U.S. Presbyterians,
as its COEMAR-sponsored predecessor did; but the Lal Begis are in full
control this time.  Franklin Woo likened the movement in India to the
"Three-Self" (self-governing, self-supporting, self-propagating) Christian
community in China. "It's not a dependency system," Woo said, referring to
the movements in both countries. "They don't care where the money comes
from, as long there's no strings."

          "Mission Policy in the Muslim World of the Middle East"

    When Presbyterian missionaries first reached out to the Muslim world in
the 1820s, their charge was clear, said Jack Lorimer, a Presbyterian
missionary to Egypt for 45 years. "The overriding purpose of their labors
was evangelization, by any and every means."

    The approach of the early missionaries reflected "the mentality of the
Crusades," Lorimer added. "The western missionary in those days viewed
Islam in varying degrees of suspicion, hatred, contempt and pity."

    Well into the 20th century, he said, the attitude of missionaries
toward Islam was that articulated by one Samuel Zwemer: "Islam stands out
among all the non-Christian religions as that religion which has
blindfolded Christ, smitten him, spat upon him and his followers and for
thirteen centuries has raised the cry, `Not this man, but Barabbas.'"

    Lorimer said education - followed much later by medical missions -
became a major initiative for the first missionaries. "There was an obvious
and serious need, and schools were generally welcomed by the people," he
explained.

    The 1958 merger that created the United Presbyterian Church in the
United States of America led to a major conference in Asmara, Eritrea,
where the predominant theme was "that earlier confrontational approaches
had failed because they had served to alienate rather than to win."

    Thus was launched a new approach, Lorimer said, "that emphasized a
considerate and loving approach to Muslims ... though the historic goal
remained - by any and every means to present the Muslim world with the
claims of Christ." Dialogue - in many forms, and by groups of all
theological convictions - has persisted as the predominant evangelistic
approach to this day. In the words of Kenneth Cragg, this approach "can be
described simply as finding Christianity in Islam and Islam in
Christianity, and engaging Muslim and Christian together in the search for
common ground."

    Similarly, a World Council of Churches report commended by the 1993
General Assembly states: "We Christians are called to be witnesses to
others, not judges of them. ... In dialogue we are invited to listen in
openness to the possibility that the God we know in Jesus Christ may
encounter us also in the lives of our neighbors of other faiths."

    New technologies - Web sites and television - have been employed by
some evangelists, while groups like the Navigators have adopted Islamic
dress styles and observe Islamic rituals of prayer and fasting to more
fully engage Islamic cultures, Lorimer said.

    "At a time in our mission history when the traditional institutional
approaches to Islam have admittedly lost their effectiveness," he
concluded, "the PC(USA) might do well to find ways to encourage and support
such non-traditional endeavors, with or without its historic linkages to
national churches."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org