From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Executive Presbyter Recounts Oklahoma Devastation and Response

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:13:32

10-May-1999
99182

    Executive Presbyter Recounts
    Oklahoma Devastation and Response

    by Carolyn Stephens
    Executive Presbyter, Indian Nations Presbytery

OKLAHOMA CITY-On the night of Monday, May 3, 1999, I began watching the
news and weather on T.V. at about 6:00 p.m. and the television wasn't
turned off until 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday morning.

    Most of you know that TV is one of my big "hates" in life, so you
understand that my being glued to the set must have been the result of
something serious.  That is the night that Oklahoma was bombarded with more
than 70 tornadoes, some of which were truly deadly.  The worst one was a
"wedge" one mile wide and it left a path of destruction diagonally through
the state from near Lawton to Sapulpa which is about 60 miles.  Those
towns, villages, and suburbs in it's path suffered unbelievable damage.  It
was classified as an "F5" tornado, which means that the winds were in
excess of 260 miles per hour.

    You have seen much of the destruction on the news, and I won't
reiterate that.  However, there are things which you may not have heard
which I want to share.  One of the early frustrations (and one of the
things now receiving much criticism) is that there was little news of what
had already happened, but constant news of what was expected to happen.
The general consensus is that the weather personnel took control of the
newsrooms and wouldn't relinquish their place of control.  Yes, we needed
to know where the tornadoes were going next, but we also needed to know
what they had left behind.  It wasn't until early the next morning that we
had any idea of the damage done.

    I spent most of the night on the phone with pastors.  I would wait
until 20 minutes or so after the tornado had passed over a town/city and
then would start calling to see if they were O.K.  It was a wonder that I
was able to contact as many as I did.  They began to survey their
congregations and the church buildings and stayed in contact with me
throughout the night.

    Many strange things happened.  For example, I could not reach Mike and
Janet Ruark who live in Midwest City, one of the hardest hit areas.  At
1:00 a.m., I received a call from a pastor in Hobart - roughly 100 miles to
the west, telling me that they were O.K.  This pastor had talked to a
person in a neighboring town who had gotten Mike on the phone at the church
about midnight.  Interestingly, the phones were working except in the worst
hit areas until after it was over.  Then, as friends and relatives, both
local and long distance began checking on loved ones, the phone lines were
overloaded and have not been back to normal until very recently.

    I slept a couple of hours on the couch that night, but was awake around
5:00 a.m., still watching the T.V. to see the latest news on the
destruction.  We remained under tornado warnings until 10:00 a.m. May 4 and
my area (the far northern section of Oklahoma City) suffered the worst of
our storms then.  The areas most severely affected were on the south and
southeast sides of the city.

    The meteorologists and the storm trackers (who in my opinion must be a
little crazy) did such a good job that I was never frightened for my part
of town.  They were able to tell within a few blocks, where the storms were
going and people had ample time to take cover.  The problems came with
people who refused to take cover and, even more, because there are so few
"storm cellar facilities" in Oklahoma.

    For those of you who don't know, we do not have basements here, and
prior to the arrival of the wedge tornado, people were told, "This is a
killer tornado and you will need to be beneath ground to live through it."
This advice was sound although many of the people who went into central
closets or bathrooms in their homes were saved.  There are many stories of
people being inside such a closet, coming out after the storm to find that
everything around them was gone.

    On Tuesday, I was in a state of shock - a common reaction among people
across the city.  When I got to the office, about all I did was answer the
telephone, which literally rang all day.  There were three staff members in
the office and we were not able to keep up with the calls all day.  I
didn't have time to deal with how I felt about the storm.  All I could do
was accept the support and prayers of the people calling and tell them that
we didn't know the extent of the damage, or the numbers of people hurt or
killed.

    By Wednesday morning (May 5), I knew I must visit the affected areas to
see the destruction for myself in order to be able to report to those from
across the country who were calling.  By that afternoon, a person from the
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance Team (PDAT), the Rev. Pat Kennedy of
Amarillo, Texas, had arrived to help me figure out what needed to happen
and how we needed as a Presbytery to proceed.

    It was a special gift that Pat was a friend - the pastor who had headed
up the Indian Nations Disaster Response Team in 1995 following the A.P.
Murrah Federal Building bombing.  He now served on the national level and
no one could have been found who could be more helpful and understanding of
our situation.

    During this week, I have been more proud to be a Presbyterian, than I
have been for a long time.  Calls from churches streamed in and the Office
of General Assembly and the PDAT representatives have provided invaluable
assistance.  If anyone ever wants to know whether or not the One Great Hour
of Sharing special offering is worthwhile, I would be more than happy to
tell them what it has done for us.

    On Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning (May 6), the PDAT
representative and I went to Moore and to Midwest City.

    The police had cordoned off the areas of the worst destruction and
there were National Guard Units posted at each corner to prevent people
from entering the areas.  However, because we could show credentials saying
that we were "official disaster response people," we were able to drive the
outer limits of the area and I saw far more than I wanted to see that way.

    Homeowners were not even allowed to enter the area until Wednesday
afternoon, which was very painful for them.  For them to get in at all they
had to provide proof of their residency, which was nearly impossible for
those persons whose papers, wallets, identification, etc., had been blown
away.  Many people came out of the storm only with the clothes they were
wearing.  One story I know personally to be true is of one woman who hid in
a bathtub, under a mattress.  Her shoes were pulled off by the wind.

    On Wednesday and Thursday, my strongest feeling was anger.  I was angry
that Oklahoma and Indian Nations Presbytery had to deal with another
disaster.  We were beginning to heal from the horror of the Murrah bombing
just over four years ago.  We had become able to concentrate on being the
Church and in doing the "normal" work of God.

    I didn't want to do this disaster response thing again.  It didn't seem
fair.  I resented the fact that the normalcy of our work had been
disrupted.

    I was also in great denial.  I didn't want to admit the horror of the
devastation I had seen.  It was too awful.  We saw three story buildings
reduced to one or two stories with no windows, half walls, and with cars
around that had been picked up and thrown into the building or just tossed
hap- hazardly around parking lots.

    It seemed that there were three different "levels" of the storm.  Some
houses looked as though they had been hammered flat by a giant hammer.
Others looked as though they had been sawed in half by a giant saw and some
looked as though they had been scraped completely away - only the
foundation was left.

    One picture in particular will remain in my memory forever:  A house
had been "smashed" into shreds and splinters of wood - you wouldn't even
know it was a house - and in the front yard was a rose bush in full bloom,
not damaged at all.  The vision of life and death standing so close
together was almost more than my mind could accept.

    That quickly became a living reminder of my faith as I translated it
into the Resurrection of Christ, which is the central core of my knowledge
of God's presence in my life.  Perhaps that was the turning point in my
attitude.  I came back ready to start the job of serving the people in need
- those who have lost so much of their life, those whose lives have been
changed forever, and the family members of those whose lives were lost.

    Until Thursday night (May 7), I had been unable to pray.  I feared that
if I poured out my grief to God, I might "come apart" completely, and
wasn't sure I would be able to "put myself back together again."  Finally I
was able to approach God with the concerns I had carried but had been
afraid to say aloud.  And, of course, I felt God's peace.

    Our presbytery Disaster Response Committee has come back together and
they will be making the decisions on the assistance we are able to provide.
Some funds left from the Murrah disaster are available to help us start our
work.  A check from General Assembly in the amount of $10,000 is on the way
along with the promise of more as it is needed.  There have been many phone
calls saying that Special Offerings would be taken this Sunday to be sent
to us.

    At the latest count, there are 18 Presbyterian families whose homes
have been demolished. We have been fortunate in having no one seriously
injured.  Those families represent eight different congregations.  The
pastors of those congregations, especially Mike Ruark in Midwest City and
Shelby Miller in Moore are going to have a great deal of stress in the next
few months as they help the victims as well as their whole church family
deal with their loss and pain.  I would ask that you keep them in your
prayers.

    At a FEMA briefing I attended today, we were told that they have now
revised the figures to say that 10,000 dwellings have been destroyed across
the state.  That is a much higher figure than originally thought.  Many of
our population will be suffering for a long time.  It is as though their
previous life has ceased to exist and they must rise from the rubble to
build a new one.

    It came to me this week that the pain from this disaster may be even
greater than that of the bombing.  Those most directly affected by the
bombing at least had a home to go to at night and neighbors who were
unaffected who could provide support.  The folks who have suffered from
this horrible freak of nature don't have those two positive things to fall
back on.  I call on you to pray for the people of Oklahoma on a regular
basis in the months to come.

    I have found a person willing to volunteer as a Disaster Response
Coordinator for the presbytery and I give great thanks for that.  I think
it would have been impossible for me to do the job of Executive Presbyter
and also fill the demands of handling all of the response work.  Even with
that help, my staff and I will have many extra burdens in the future.  I
ask for your prayers for
us.

    God is our strength and our refuge.  Without God's love and gracious
presence during the past few days, I wouldn't have made it.  I know that
love and presence will continue.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org