From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterian Publishing `Pipeline' To Deliver Ideas Left and Right

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:16:20

26-May-1999
99204

    Presbyterian Publishing `Pipeline'
    Will Deliver Ideas from Left and Right

    by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -  The Presbyterian Publishing Corporation (PPC) recently
launched a new enterprise that will market and distribute books produced by
groups as theologically diverse as the More Light Churches Network and the
Presbyterian Lay Committee.

    The idea for the new service, to be called the Presbyterian Pipeline,
came from the Presbyterian Lay Committee, which publishes the conservative
"Presbyterian Layman" newspaper and a confirmation curriculum it prefers to
that of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

    "We are querying organizations on the left wing and the right wing and
the center of the denomination ideologically, theologically," said Davis
Perkins, PPC's president and publisher. "I think we're going to have a
striking balance in terms of the resources that we put into this program."

    The Pipeline, which for now has an agreement with only the Lay
Committee, will serve up books and resources that are independently
produced by organizations within, or related to, the PC(USA). The new
program will include wholesale and retail marketing, distribution, product
advertising, cataloging and warehousing.

    The Pipeline concept originated more than a year ago, Perkins said,
when members of the Lay Committee and Presbyterians for Renewal approached
PPC about collaborating on publishing efforts. Before long, he said, the
idea of a marketing and distribution service "mushroomed" and "blossomed"
during further conversations with the Lay Committee.

    The Pipeline has a fan in the Rev. Parker T. Williamson, executive
editor of "The Presbyterian Layman."

    "We believe that this partnership will serve a rapidly growing market
for evangelical resources," Williamson told the Presbyterian News Service
via e-mail. "And while PLC Publications will continue to market its
materials independently, we are grateful for this opportunity to serve
congregations through denominational channels as well."

    Thirty to 40 invitations to join the Pipeline have been sent to
Presbyterian entities that are "across the spectrum" theologically, Perkins
said. "We're optimistic that we'll receive a number of positive responses."

    The Presbyterian Center for Mission Studies, a Pasadena, Calif.,
organization that publishes mission-related books, has a Pipeline
application pending. Other groups, such as the Coalition for Appalachian
Ministry, have expressed interest.

    Overall, organizations from Presbyterian activist groups to seminaries
have been asked whether they have publications that could go into the
Pipeline. A dozen or so of the denomination's  larger churches have been
invited to participate, as has the More Light Churches Network, a year-old
merger between More Light and Presbyterians for Lesbian and Gay Concerns.

    Also receiving invitations were the Witherspoon Society, which
publishes a newsletter focusing on justice-related concerns; Presbyterians
For Renewal, a group advocating a spiritual and biblical focus for the
church; and the Covenant Network of Presbyterians, a group of pro-gay and
lesbian ordination Presbyterians that says it represents the theological
"center."

    "Our position is that this is a very diverse church and that it's our
responsibility as denominational publishers to publish for a broad
constituency and beyond the scope of our own publishing program," Perkins
said, "and to offer a diverse array of resources to parts of the church
that are not served in any other direct and meaningful way by the national
church."

    With a publishing heritage that dates back more than160 years, the PPC
is the official denominational publisher of the PC(USA) and also publishes
under the trade imprints Westminster John Knox Press and Geneva Press.

    Participants in the Pipeline program are expected to be actively
involved in developing and/or publishing books or resources that appeal, or
have the potential to appeal, to a significant national following of
Presbyterians. Program coordinators for the Pipeline will help determine
the level of service to be provided and the financial arrangements.

    "It's not for us primarily a money making proposition, simply making
these materials available with a modest charge to cover our marketing,
promotional expenses," Perkins said. "We're actually just hoping to serve
all parts of the church, including some parts the evangelical wing of our
denomination, the right wing conservatives, evangelical churches that are
not currently being served by publication entities of the national church.
We will be able to achieve that with the Presbyterian Lay Committee being
in the Presbyterian Pipeline."

    For more information or to request an application, please contact Tom
Vandergriff, PPC's congregational resources manager, at (502)569-5072.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org