From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Polish Churches Plan Major Agreement on Baptism for Year 2000

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:17:10

11-May-1999
99184

    Polish Churches Plan Major Agreement
    on Baptism for Year 2000

    by Jonathan Luxmoore
    Ecumenical News International

WARSAW-Minority churches in Poland plan to celebrate the new millennium by
joining Roman Catholics in a mutual recognition of baptism. The churches
are also considering a joint acknowledgment - with the Roman Catholic
Church - of "guilt and forgiveness" for past wrongs.

    "Many people have warmed to these proposals, recalling our common roots
in the Holy Spirit," Lutheran Bishop Jan Szarek, head of Poland's
Ecumenical Council, told ENI.  Poland's 95,000-member Lutheran church had
already accepted the declaration on baptisms, which now awaited similar
approval by other minority denominations, he said.

    He added that Roman Catholic leaders were now "increasingly open" to
other churches.  He believed they would also endorse the document on
baptisms as confirming what was already established practice.

    "As for guilt and forgiveness, we must allow time for this proposal to
sink into the Catholic consciousness.  But the Pope has already apologized
to us,"  Bishop Szarek said, referring to apologies by John Paul II to
Protestants during visits to the region in the mid-1990s.  "What's needed
now is for the local church to follow this up, with a concrete gesture of
reconciliation which recognizes historical realities."

    Bishop Szarek also said minority churches had proposed an ecumenical
celebration with the Roman Catholic Church during a planned meeting of
European heads of state at Gniezno, Poland's first Christian see, in March
2000.

    However, Bishop Szarek also warned that "Protestants see the millennium
more skeptically than Catholics, since we believe every day is God's day,
whether it falls in 1999 or 2000, and we see no sense in jubilee years in
which all sins are exonerated."

    The Roman Catholic Church - to which the vast majority of Poland's 39
million inhabitants belong - has since 1974 maintained a joint commission
with the Polish Ecumenical Council, grouping the country's seven main
minority denominations, Protestant and Orthodox.

    A text of the declaration on baptisms was finalized by the commission
on April 12, and is expected to be officially signed by all churches in
January 2000 during the Week of Prayer for
Christian Unity.

    The chairman of the Roman Catholic Church's Council on Ecumenism,
Bishop Alfons Nossol, said he would "do everything" to ensure the document
was approved by the Catholic Bishops' Conference during its plenary session
in June.  However, he stressed that the statement on mutual guilt and
forgiveness was "only an idea" and needed further work.

    "The validity of baptisms has been under discussion for 20 years, and
after this final theological effort our bishops are ready to accept it
officially," Bishop Nossol told ENI.  "Meanwhile, the Pope has expressed
regret and apologized for the church's sins and misdeeds, so I think this
won't pose great difficulties either.  But the shape and quality of this
gesture need to be made more precise."

    "This time, we are determined that these initiatives should filter
right down to parish level, through a joint ecumenical letter to all
Christians in Poland," the bishop told ENI.  "This must be something
authentic and universal, rather than just a decision by church leaders at
the top."

    Both inter-church initiatives were announced in Warsaw earlier this
month at an ecumenical symposium on "One Lord, one faith, one baptism,"
attended by Cardinal Edward Cassidy, the president of the Pontifical
Council for Promoting Christian Unity.

    A representative of Poland's 570,000-strong Orthodox Church, Michal
Klinger, told symposium participants that Orthodox leaders were also
planning an ecumenical ceremony with Roman Catholics in Bialystok, in the
east of Poland.

    He added that they hoped to resurrect the spirit of Poland's
15th-century "Republic of Nations," which had been a magnet of "tolerance
and hospitality" for Eastern and Western Europe.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org