From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commissioners' Resolution Goes Right to the Heart

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:19:18

GA99056
23-June-1999

        Commissioners'  Resolution Goes Right to the Heart

FORT WORTH- Elder Wilma Luther from Wood River Church (Central Nebraska
Presbytery) choked up when she asked for the microphone at the close of her
committee's business Tuesday.  She had served on the Peacemaking and
International Relations Committee whose final action was to vote on
Commissioners'  Resolution 21, On Acknowledging the Heritage of the
Christian Faith.
     The resolution states "We offer a word of compassionate thanks to our
parents and grandparents, our friends and neighbors---all the men and women
in military service who presented themselves as 'living sacrifices' to
preserve our freedom on those occasions in this century when such freedoms
were in jeopardy. We thank our chaplains who faithfully ministed to
'congregations' that daily laid down their lives for those whom they loved
with 'their last full measure of devotion.'
     "We speak our living words while we may yet look into their living
eyes with our hearts of thanks.  We pray that in the century yet to come
God will grant us leadership, vision, courage, and wisdom to work for the
day when war shall be no more, and all nations shall be reconciled in
Christ.  We commit ourselves to lead lives worthy of Christ's sacrifice for
us, and worthy of the love of those who also sacrificed themselves that we
might lead all people to a Kingdom of Peace."
     The resolution received a large majority of the committee's votes,
after which Luther rose to thank them.  "My heart is so full right now.
This action truly makes my week.  I work at a Veterans' Home in Grand
Island, Nebraska.  I can't wait to fax this back to them tonight.
     "All 395 of those veterans have given some part of their body," she
continued,  "a limb, some  vital piece of tissue, a sense, even a  mind,
that we might have freedom. Every day I hear them say 'we're forgotten ---
nobody remembers.'   When I get back they'll  know Presbyterians haven't
forgotten."
   Luther, a degreed occupational therapist,  is activities director and
Alzheimers' coordinator at the Veterans' Home.  "This will mean so much,"
she said, "and we just have to let them know."

Midge Mack

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org