From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Pro-Gay" Theology "Seriously Misrepresents" Bible and Ethics

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:19:32

GA99039
21-June-1999

          "Pro-Gay" Theology "Seriously Misrepresents"
        Bible and Ethics, Speaker Tells Luncheon Workshop

FORT WORTH - "'Pro-gay' theology seriously misrepresents both scripture and
ethics,"  Joe Dallas, Director of the Exodus Counseling Center, told 50
people at the OneByOne luncheon today.  OneByOne is "a PCUSA ministry
created to address the needs of those in conflict with their sexuality,"
according to the organization's mission statement
     Dallas addressed four points at which he thought "pro-gay theology"
disagrees with Scripture: it presents homosexuality as "immutable and thus
God-ordained;" it alleges that since people are gay and lesbian and
Christian at the same time, homosexuality is therefore not a sin; it
implies that because a given person is good, relationships that person is
in must be good, too; and it suggests that objections to homosexuality "are
not the result of biblical belief but just a reflection of our [homophobic]
culture."
     In presenting homosexuality as unchangeable, Dallas said, "pro-gay
theology" draws the conclusion that "if it is immutable, it must be
God-ordained."  The real question, he said, "is not, 'is this condition
changeable?', but, 'what does the Scripture say?'" The ten references in
the Bible to homosexuality are "always clearly in the negative," he
continued.  The issue is, "on what basis do we determine what is moral or
immoral?  Scripture makes no concessions on 'immutability'," he said.  "How
is the Christian to respond to sin?" he asked.  "We are called to resist
rather than to redefine."
     Many conservative critics of homosexuality, Dallas noted, "attack
character and people rather than to simply condemn the behavior as sin."
This leaves the church open to charges that it does not care about gay and
lesbian persons, and that it lies about them, he asserted.  "When people
say, `I'm gay and I'm a Christian,' I'm inclined to believe those claims,"
he continued.   "It is true a Christian can sin and still be a
Christian...The question is not, 'Can one be gay and Christian?"  The
question should always be, is homosexuality scripturally condemned or
condoned?"
     It is an error say that "because these are good people, what they are
doing is also good," Dallas noted.  "God-incarnate modeled for us the
luxury of enjoying all people whether they agreed with him or not, yet
nowhere are we told he approved of their sin."  The real question in
assessing relationships is not, 'is it loving?', but, 'is it right or
wrong?'"
     "As a culture and as a church, we are allowing rhetoric to replace
reason," Dallas argued. "People who know how to put together a
well-presented soundbite are often more persuasive than those who are
reasonable."
     "The scriptures on homosexuality are unambiguous in both Testaments.
The only relationship considered best is a monogamous relationship between
one man and one woman," he concluded.
     Dallas, who has spent more than 10 years counseling men and women
coming out of
 homosexuality, lived for several years in a gay relationship and is now
married.  He is past president of Exodus International.

Peggy Rounseville

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org