From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Worship Challenges PC(USA) to Find Truth

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:20:22

GA99030
21-June-1999

             Worship Challenges PC(USA) to Find Truth

FORT WORTH-Surrounded by beautiful banners depicting the Six Great Ends of
the Church, the 211th General Assembly was greeted in worship on Monday
morning with the uplifting sounds of the Seminario Theolągico Presbiteriana
de M‚xico choir.  With instruments and voice, feet were set to tapping and
voices raised to praising  God with Latino rhythm and  hymns and anthems
both new and traditional.  Grady Coyle, Director of Music/Organist of
Northridge Presbyterian Church of Dallas, Texas, accompanied on the organ.
Elder Diana Flores of Iglesia Emmanuel Presbyterian Church of Dallas and
the Rev. Richard Ramsey of First Presbyterian Church of Tyler, Texas led
the congregation in confession, prayers and the reading of the scriptures.
     Preaching on the conversation between Pilate and Jesus found in John
18, the Rev. Craig Barnes, pastor of National Presbyterian Church,
Washington D.C. challenged commissioners and friends to live into the
Fourth Great End of the Church, the Preservation of Truth.
      Barnes reminded worshipers that Pilate was an outsider and as such,
his home was "unclean."   Pilate represented the "gentile other" to the
good Jews of Jesus' day.  By entering into conversation, and even into
Pilate's house, Jesus showed his willingness to risk defilement in order to
dialogue with the outcasts.
     Barnes challenged Presbyterians gathered here to dialogue with those
whom they consider to be "other" - those who hold differing viewpoints and
the ones whom we might hold, in our own opinions, to be the ones defiling
the church.  Jesus' concern, he said, was to make the church righteous.
Jesus was willing to associate with the "others" of his time, not out of
solidarity with their cause, but because he was willing to take on or
become, sin, that we might become the righteous of God.
     Pilate and Jesus talked about truth.  "What is truth?"  Pilate asked?
That, said Barnes, is also the question for the postmodern church and
society.  And the church  will only discover that truth as we look hard at
Jesus Christ who is at work in all our defilement.  The truth, he added, is
present whether we want to hear it or not and whether we like it or not.
     The question "What is truth?" Barnes remarked,  is always followed by
silence...silence as we try to discern what to say.  What will we say when
we speak into that silence?  What will we say to a broken-hearted child who
has lost his mother?  What will we say truth is to the Kosovar refugees or
the dwellers of the inner city streets?    The ultimate truth, he said, is
not arguments about whether our side is right or wrong.
     The truth is that Jesus Christ is with us and we belong to him.
     The silence of the assembled congregation as it realized that truth
was indeed profound.
Joanne Hines

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org