From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Johanna Van Wijk-Bos Addresses Voices of Sophia Breakfast

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:22:43

GA99031
21-June-1999

                  Johanna Van Wijk-Bos Addresses
                    Voices of Sophia Breakfast

FORT WORTH-Baskets of hearty loaves adorned the tables at the Clarion
Hotel, Monday, June 21, where the Voices of Sophia held their fourth annual
General Assembly Breakfast.  In introducing the program, a member of the
organization's central, cooperative team, announced that the bread was to
be donated to the Presbyterian Night Shelter in Fort Worth for the evening
meal, emphasizing effectively the group's commitment to justice.
     In her address entitled, "Crying at the Crossroads," based on an
exegesis of  Proverbs 8, Johanna Van Wijk-Bos, professor of Old Testament
at Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary and author of several
books, including "Reformed and Feminist," elicited an enthusiastic and
decidedly boisterous response from the sold-out crowd of 300.  "A
crossroads is a metaphor for a crucial or critical place," stated Bos.
"Exactly there is where woman wisdom takes her stand."
     She contended that those who stand at that crossroads are in a
vulnerable place where "we can expect to receive some flak, get some
backlash" in the pursuit of justice.  "Do we dare to stand there," asked
Bos.  "Do we dare to stand there for what is bruised and broken?"
     Bos also called for a sabbatical on "malespeak," challenging men on
both sides of the feminist debate  to "learn and listen, listen and learn,"
and asserting that it is time for women's voices to be heard.
     Formed five years ago in response to a dream of creating a community
that would be a forthright voice for women in the church, Voices of Sophia
is committed to working toward the transformation of the church into a
discipleship of equals.  The group's name, Sophia ("Woman Wisdom") is taken
from the Book of Proverbs, in which, according to the Voices of Sophia
literature, "she is a personification of a divine element."
     The breakfast was also the occasion for a tribute to Virginia West
Davidson, who was honored by the group for her lifelong commitment to
inclusivity in the church.  In responding to the tribute, Davidson
remarked that Voices of Sophia "is about justice and love, but we are
called to act into that, not reflect.  To cease the struggle," she added,
"is to die."
Emily Enders Odom

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org