From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Freda Gardner Elected Moderator on Second Ballot

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:23:00

GA99021
19-June-1999

                 Freda Gardner Elected Moderator
                         on Second Ballot

 FORT WORTH-The only woman candidate for Moderator of the 211th General
Assembly, Elder Freda A. Gardner, was elected on the second ballot with 270
votes.  She led the voting on the first ballot, but attained the majority
needed on the second.
     A former Princeton Seminary professor of Christian education, she was
applauded along with the other three candidates for doing an outstanding
job of addressing concerns of the Assembly through statements and responses
to questions.  The other candidates, Frank Diaz, Charles Kim and Walter
Ungerer, received significant support in the voting process, but Freda
Gardner was the clear choice to lead the denomination in the coming year.
     Gardner was nominated by K. C. Ptomey, minister commissioner from
Middle Tennessee Presbytery, who told commissioners that Freda Gardner is a
person who sits at many tables, whose distinguishing characteristics are
wisdom and humor and who can "help us make the connection we need between
head and heart."
     Speaking to the Assembly, Gardner said that if elected she would tell
the "amazing story of the Presbyterian Church....not the story of what
divides us but the stories of the many ways in which Christian ministry is
being carried out."  She also promised to encourage renewed commitment to
prayer: "to gather in stillness to hear the voice that can lead us to
wholeness, the glory that is Christ's and our privilege to witness to it."
     "When we know that it is God who gives gifts to us, why do we have a
hard time believing that the gifts are given for the common good?"  she
asked.  "The gifts of God are for all the people of God," she affirmed.
     Justice for all, unity in Christian community, caring for children and
affirmation of the younger generation as the church of today as well as
tomorrow comprised the views of all four candidates.
     Gardner said she is not personally concerned about Y2K.  "It is not
our call to project what is going to happen in the next millennium," she
said, in answer to a question about the future.  "We just need to remember
what has been said: "You will be my people; and I will be your God," she
added.
     "We need to find new ways to talk   about what bothers us about
ordination issues," she said.  " We need to learn to listen.  I think we
can do that and then live with it until the truth breaks through and we are
all the better for it, " the new Moderator assured the Assembly.

By Jane Hines

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org