From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ministry of Earth-keeping Honored Grass-Roots Activist Heeded

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:23:08

GA99050
22-June-1999

                 Ministry of Earth-keeping Honored
                   Grass-Roots Activist Heeded

FORT WORTH-Terri Swearingen could be stereotyped as "no bigger than a
minute,"  but her achievements in  challenging the powers of corporate
America in the Ohio River Valley are monumental.
     Swearingen is a registered nurse, a dental lab technician, a wife,
mother and homemaker, but hardly stereotypical. A member of Westminster
Presbyterian Church in Chester, W.V., she is coordinator and founding
member of the Tri-State Environmental Council, and is serving a six- year
term on the Hancock County Board of Health,  overseeing West Virginia's
Turning Point project. Her regional and national awards are too numerous to
fit this space.  The most recent one came from Presbyterians for Restoring
Creation Tuesday morning when she spoke at the group's annual breakfast
meeting.
     The effort from which all these awards spring began with her
organization of the fight to prevent the construction and operation of Von
Roll Waste Technologies Industry (WTI), one of the world's largest
commercial toxic waste incinerators.  It was to be located in the flood
plain of the Ohio River in an impoverished minority Appalachian community,
320 feet from the nearest home and 400 yards from an elementary school
      "While we haven't stopped that one yet, our efforts have halted other
incinerators from being built around the country. Since 1992 we managed
first an Ohio moratorium and then a nationwide freeze on toxic waste
incinerators, motivated Congress to conduct a first-ever hearing to look at
the ways EPA bends the rules, forced an overhaul of federal combustion
regulations (setting a first-time standard for dioxin)  and compelled the
federal government to acknowledge the serious risk that pollution poses to
the food chain," she said.
     "Even with these victories," Swearingen continued, "every day,  in our
community and others like it, we are LOSING. We are losing good science,
human decency, sound public policy, justice and democracy."
     Swearingen pointed out how  the real energy for change comes only from
the grass roots, people in threatened communities, those who care.  "But we
can't afford the luxury of waiting until every citizen becomes a victim
before taking action," she concluded. "We have to love each other enough,
as Jesus did. Only empathy, not sympathy, leads to justice. Instead of
saying 'something must be done,' each of us must say, I must do
something'."
     Also at the breakfast meeting a tiny congregation that changed its
name and its lifestyle in the past year was honored. Sagemont Presbyterian
Church in Houston, Texas, replaced the sagebrush with lush gardens and
adopted a wholistic ministry of earth-keeping, becoming in the process
Servant Savior Community Presbyterian Church.

Midge Mack

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org