From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

More Light Presbyterians Called to Embrace Adversaries

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:23:41

GA99019
19-June-1999

                 More Light Presbyterians Called
                      to Embrace Adversaries

FORT WORTH-Against a backdrop of colorful stoles, representing the Stoles
Project, Mel White, writer, film maker and author of Stranger at the Gate:
To Be Gay and Christian in America, issued a bold call to embrace as
children of the Creator all those who would oppose full participation of
gay, lesbian and transgender people in the life of the church.
     Reminding his audience that the struggle for full inclusion will not
move forward when its advocates assume an aggressive, adversarial stance,
and specifically addressing conversion or so-called "ex-gay" ministries,
White stated, "If you don't see [the] Exodus [Movement] as people who
really care, we will never solve this.  If they are our adversaries, we are
going nowhere." The sold-out event, hosted by the More Light Presbyterians,
the newly-named union of the former Presbyterians for Lesbian and Gay
Concerns with the former More Light Churches Network, drew over 200 to hear
a call to do justice, love mercy, walk humbly and be friends.
     Responding to the concept of "More Light," White challenged his
listeners to understand the organization's name as meaning "we are open to;
we are searching for," rather than "we have more light than you."  White's
convictions emerge from the "Soulforce" principles of Gandhi and Martin
Luther King, Jr., guidelines for doing justice non-violently.  Of
"Soulforce" White has written elsewhere, "[Our adversaries] are victims of
misinformation (as we have been).  Our goal is not to triumph over them but
to be reconciled with them."  He identified healing the wounded who are
suffering because of injustice as a primary goal, stating that this healing
is not brought about with propaganda.  A second goal was to cut off the
suffering at its source.
     Minister commissioner Nancy Whiteley of Shenandoah Presbytery attended
the event to be supportive of an inclusive church and to hear the speaker.
"If we are all sisters and brothers in Christ," said Whiteley, "then why
are we leaving some of our sisters and brothers outside?"
     The Celebration Dinner was also the occasion for the bestowing of
several awards.  The 1999 "Inclusive Church Award" was presented to the
Rev. Mike Brown, co-pastor of Christ Church Presbyterian, Burlington, Vt.
In accepting the honor, Brown stated that he was receiving the award for
the simplest of reasons:  for trying to be faithful to the demands of the
gospel.
     Recognized also was Jane Loflin, founder of Presbyterian Parents of
Gays and Lesbians, with the first annual "David Sindt Award" for
outstanding individual leadership.  The award is named for the co-founder,
in 1974, of the Presbyterians for Lesbian and Gay Concerns.  "I am so
deeply honored that you have bestowed this award upon me," said Loflin,
noting that parents can make and are making a tremendous difference in the
church.
     More Light Presbyterians co-moderator Scott Anderson affirmed the
event and the speaker's message as well-received, finding that the
evening's theme and content continued in a helpful way the same spirit of
dialogue and reconciliation begun at the recent "Unity and Diversity
Conference." By Emily Enders Odom

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org