From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Public vs Private Morality - Can We Separate Them?

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:23:47

Ga99027
20-June-1999

        Public vs Private Morality - Can We Separate Them?

FORT WORTH-The Rev. Dr .J. Philip Wogaman, pastor of Foundry United
Methodist Church, Washington D.C. and pastor to President Clinton spoke to
a capacity crowd at the Witherspoon Society luncheon at the Ramada Hotel.
The word "politics" has become a suspect word, said Dr.  Wogaman.  Yet
there is no way any of us can escape the political nature of our actions.
Since politics involves the power of influence, anything that influences
our will is, thus,  political. There is , he said "no hiding place in which
to preserve one's moral purity."
     Can a politician then, ever claim pure motive for anything which he or
she does?  Can a politician separate his or her private life from public
life, claiming as President Clinton did that "Even presidents have personal
lives."
     There are two differing viewpoints expressed by Russell Baker, retired
columnist for the New York Times on the one side and William J. Bennett on
the other.
     Baker doubts that telling all  the vices of politicians must be told
so that the public can make vitally important judgments about their
"character."  "It has never been clear to me that the sexual adventures of
Franklin Roosevelt, John Kennedy and Martin Luther King affected the
creation of the New Deal, the conduct of World War II and the Cuban missile
crisis, or the progress of the Civil Rights movement," Baker contends.
     In contrast William J. Bennett is among those who argue that "the
leader must be whole; he (sic) cannot have his public character honest and
his private character deceitful."
     Underlining the universality of sin and the near impossibility of
being able to be morally pure,  Wogaman said that character counts
immensely, but cannot be defined narrowly.  It is the virtue of love that
is most important.  If what we do is done out of love, sometimes it may not
be right, but ultimately it is moral.  People may do things which will turn
out to be wrong, but they can only be judged by what motivated them to do
it.  If that motivation is love, then it cannot be judged immoral.
     Speaking to issue of the homosexuality which continues to be a
difficult issue for most churches and society at this time, Wogaman said
"their faith is undeniable and their Christian practice is as good as
anybody else's.  You will validate your criticism (of them) only by the
quality of your love."
     In this way, it is a nearly impossible task for us to "hate the sin
and love the sinner."  Wogaman's remarks gave those present a lot to ponder
in their own personal lives and faith responses to topics which so often
divide the Presbyterian Church.
     The Witherspoon Society also presented their Congregation Award to
Gethsemane Presbyterian Church, Ft. Worth, Texas for their service and
witness to the Hispanic population and their efforts toward peace, social
justice and evangelism.
     The Andrew Murray Award was given to Rev. Trina Zelle, pastor of
Manhattan Presbyterian Church, El Paso, Texas and coordinator of Border
Ministries, Sunland Park, N.M.  She thanked the Society for the award
stating that the greater award was being invited to be a part of the lives
of those with whom she ministered in the areas of refugee advocacy and
community organizations.

Joanne Hines

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org