From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Marty Speaks at General Assembly Breakfast

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:24:00

GA99032
21-June-1999

            Marty Speaks at General Assembly Breakfast

FORT WORTH-The church of tomorrow, seen in the light of history and present
culture, was the focus for Martin Marty's address at the General Assembly
breakfast on Monday, June 21. "All God's people are involved in finding and
discovering the church of the 21st century, " he said.  "Suffering will
produce character and that will produce a realistic hope."
     He reminded the large group gathered that Presbyterians believe that a
loving God is in control.  "And that liberates us," he said.
     Marty is the author of 50 books and has published three volumes of a
major work, "Modern American Religion."  He served as a Lutheran pastor for
a decade before joining the University of Chicago faculty in l963, teaching
there for 35 years and directing the Public Religion Project at the
University.  A new Martin Marty Center has been founded to promote the
"public religion" endeavors.  He is editor of the newsletter" Context," now
in its 29th year.  He has been awarded 59 honorary degrees, and many
honors, including the National Book Award, and the National Humanities
Medal.
     The custom of having a  General Assembly breakfast has been revived,
after several years' absence,  to engage the Assembly in deep reflection,
according the G.A. Stated Clerk Clifton Kirkpatrick.
     Marty said that no action we take this week will resolve the issues
before us.  "It takes the church 250 years to solve anything," he laughed.
Current issues of sex and authority which are occupying the mainline
denominations will have to be worked out in the world, over a period of
time, he believes.  "What we do when we gather is more like a family
reunion than a legislative body," he said.  Noting that those attending
this breakfast gathering were not like they would have been in 1950, when
everyone would have been male and clergy, he thinks that now "We are
yearning to know what we will become in the 21st century," wondering how
much will be different then.
     "A loving God is in control," he concluded.  Moderator Freda Gardner,
in greeting the group after Marty spoke, said, "I've only been moderator
since Saturday night and God hasn't given me all the answers yet, but I'm
sure that all of you have heard a word here today to take away with you,
and we know who will be victorious in the end."

Jane Hines

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org