From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Pro-Gay Ordination Network Urged to Persevere

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:24:03

GA99036
21-June-1999

          Pro-Gay Ordination Network Urged to Persevere

      Harvard Theologian Peter Gomes Says God is on the Side of the
                           Covenant Network

FORT WORTH More than 500 supporters of the fledgling Covenant Network of
Presbyterians were exhorted at the pro-gay ordination group's second annual
General Assembly luncheon June 21 to "never give up because God is on your
side."
     Peter Gomes, preacher to Harvard University and professor of Christian
morals there, told the group, "What you are fighting for is far more
important that just the internal politics and polity of the Presbyterian
Church, but is a witness to the whole church of God and civilization from
which they will take courage and example."
     Gomes, who is openly gay, praised the network for the "courage" to
invite him to speak and said, "The Covenant Network is the way of the
future, which is why you encounter so much resistance   you are the seed
that will grow into the church of the next millenium."
     Though the Covenant Network has been on the losing end of the
PC(USA)'s recent votes on sexual standards for ordination, co-moderator the
Rev. John Buchanan sounded optimistic. "Thousands and thousands of
Presbyterians look to the Covenant Network of Presbyterians to articulate
and present a theology of the church that is different and more expansive
and more grace-filled and more inclusive than the ecclesiology represented
by G-6.0106b (the commonly called "fidelity and chastity" requirement for
ordination to church office)," he told the cheering crowd.
     Referring to allegations leveled against the Covenant Network by "The
Presbyterian Layman" newspaper, Buchanan said, "One of the great ironies is
the accusation that the Covenant Network is preparing to 'take over' the
PC(USA), coming from a group [The Presbyterian Coalition, of which the
Layman is a part] that has been trying to do just that since 1993 ... we
don't have as much money or as much staff, nor do we have a newspaper with
a distribution list in excess of 500,000 to promote our agenda."
     Gomes, a Baptist, rigorously asserted that the Bible is an inclusive
document and said, "I long for the day when you are free of textual
harassment."  He said the Bible "invites all in, in all times and places
and climes.  This is my book," he continued, "it is not a book that belongs
to someone else and not me and every effort throughout history to keep
people from it has gone down to defeat.  The Bible has always brought every
person into its gracious embrace."
     Gomes also urged the crowd to listen more attentively to "what the
Holy Spirit is saying today."  Presbyterians claim to be trinitarian, he
said, "but you tend to put two-thirds of the emphasis on two-thirds of the
trinity   the Holy Spirit is a little too loosey-goosey for you."
     In the Bible, he continued, the Holy Spirit is portrayed as fostering
understanding but in order to understand, Presbyterians must be willing to
listen.  And "listening is an unfamiliar posture for Presbyterians," he
said.  "You're not good listeners.  I have observed that you only stop
talking in order to prepare your next speech."
     Gomes said there is a very good reason why Presbyterians, among
others, don't want to listen.  "We fear what we might hear," he said, "that
God is telling us to change our ways."
     Since the Covenant Network of Presbyterians was founded two years ago,
its founders -- former General Assembly moderators Buchanan and Robert W.
Bohl of Prairie Village, Kan. -- have served as its co-moderators.
Beginning in November of this year, Buchanan announced, new co-moderators
will assume leadership of the network: the Rev. Laird J. Stuart of San
Francisco and the Rev. Deborah Block of Milwaukee.
     Covenant Network executive director Pam Byers of San Francisco
announced that the group will hold its third annual national conference
Nov. 4-6, 1999, in Atlanta.

 Jerry Van Marter

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org