From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Workshop on Unity Draws 400 Ecumenists from Several Traditions

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:24:26

8-June-1999
99218

    Workshop on Unity Draws 400 Ecumenists
    from Several Traditions

    by James Solheim
    Episcopal News Service

ROCHESTER, N.Y. - Drawn by a common commitment to the search for Christian
unity, about 400 representatives of Protestant, Roman Catholic and Orthodox
churches met here in May to celebrate recent advances, discuss continuing
barriers to unity - and dream about the future.

    "Without love at the center, the ecumenical journey will flounder and
collapse, and our carefully wrought compacts and agreements will be
lifeless," warned presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold of the Episcopal
Church. "The division and distress of our world - to which communities of
faith have so sadly contributed - and God's passionate desire to reconcile
and make all things new, call us to repentance, to ... allow ourselves to
be pulled out of our ecclesial securities by the power and urgency of God's
deathless and recreative and reordering love."

    Several speakers addressed both the recent successes and the continuing
frustrations of the ecumenical movement. The Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick,
stated clerk of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), urged participants to
push through the barriers, because unity among the churches will help them
address a wide range of issues in a broken world.

    "We live in a difficult ecumenical era," he said, but "the dreams are
no less valued and important." Kirkpatrick said he sees many signs of hope,
including progress on the Consultation on Church Union (COCU), which is
bringing together nine different churches. Churches of the Reformed
tradition, including the Presbyterians, have recently established a
relationship of full communion with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA).

    The struggle for a similar relationship between the ELCA and the
Episcopal Church stalled in 1997 when the Lutherans failed by six votes to
adopt a Concordat of Agreement at their Churchwide Assembly.  They will
vote this August on a rewritten proposal, "Called to Common Mission," but
opposition is well-organized, centered on aversion to a requirement that
the Lutherans adopt the historic episcopate. A similar requirement has
hampered the COCU conversations.

    Episcopal Bishop William Burrill of the Diocese of Rochester called the
continuing divisions among Christians "obscene," arguing that Lutherans and
Episcopalians should be uncomfortable with the obscenity of a divided
church. "We have got to help our people hear the gospel," he said.

    The Rev. William Rusch, an ELCA pastor who is director of the Faith and
Order Commission of the National Council of Churches, argued against those
who claim we are in the middle of an "ecumenical winter."

    Using as an example the World Council of Churches (WCC) Assembly last
December in Zimbabwe, Rusch said he was encouraged by a proposal for a
forum of Christian churches and ecumenical organizations that would bring a
much more diverse group to the table to discuss common issues - including
the Roman Catholics and some of the emerging evangelical churches. And he
cited a new dialogue with Orthodox churches that object to what they
perceive as a politicized agenda of the WCC.

    While the Roman Catholics and the Lutherans move closer to a common
statement on justification, erasing one of the major disagreements emerging
from the Reformation, the Episcopal Church's dialogue with Roman Catholics
has hit a few bumps in the road, especially in light of Pope John Paul II's
encyclical blocking any consideration of the ordination of women. Yet
participants in that dialogue have adopted a new level of realism and
determination.

    "Disagreements are always serious, but they are tolerable in an
environment of mutual respect," said Episcopal Bishop Ted Gulick of
Kentucky, co-chair of the Anglican-Roman Catholic dialogue in the United
States. He said he was encouraged by the Vatican's decree on ecumenism,
which assigned the Anglican Communion "a special place" in Catholic
tradition. "One of the tasks of the dialogue," Gulick said, "is to find
language which describes and articulates the unity that is the Spirit's
gift."

    In her keynote address, the Rev. Ellen Wondra, an Episcopalian and
professor at Bexley Hall Seminary in Rochester, said she also is encouraged
about the hard work and steady progress of ecumenical efforts. "Our work is
a sign that our churches are also in the midst of a conversion - from
dividedness to communion and unity," she said.

    Continuing divisions are "complicated and they are deeply rooted," she
admitted.  "We are dealing with firm beliefs and also with entrenched
attitudes and behaviors," as well as "a tendency to overstate the
difficulties, and to understate our own capacities to deal with them."

    Wondra said "a mature approach to our situation entails the recognition
that conversion is the graced work of generations." She said a mature
approach entails our taking certain risks - "carefully considered, of
course, but risks nonetheless."

    She labeled as sinful "the dividedness among us as indicative of the
dividedness with us, which makes us both want and not want to be changed,"
and the kind of reliance on ourselves that produces discouragement. "As
Christians and ecumenists we have much to rejoice in - God's call to the
church to be one is indeed coming to pass," she said. "May we all, then, be
 ... open to the new realities into which God is , even now, bringing us."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org