From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

RCA Sets Out to Chart New `Mission' Territory

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:24:37

15-June-1999
99225

    Like Lewis and Clark, RCA Sets Out
    to Chart New `Mission' Territory

    Church leader says pact with PC(USA)
    and other faiths blazes a new frontier

    by Evan Silverstein

SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Like the early explorers who trekked across the
Dakota prairie, the Reformed Church of America (RCA) must band together as
a "unified ensemble" to achieve its directive of providing mission and
being the "very presence of Jesus Christ in the world."

    That includes being "radically attentive to the world outside our
doors," the denomination's general secretary, the Rev. Wesley
Granberg-Michaelson, said in his report to the body on June 11 during its
yearly General Synod session here.

    "Like Lewis and Clark, we committed to our mission and to the
discoveries that would allow us to fulfill it," he told about 270 people in
attendance at the Elmen Center gymnasium on the campus of Augustana
College. "But we couldn't be certain of what obstacles would be encountered
and what surprises would be discovered along the way."

    The RCA is a Protestant denomination with roots in Dutch Calvinism; its
organization is essentially Presbyterian. In 1991 it numbered nearly
330,650 members in more than 928 churches, with its greatest strength in
the Middle Atlantic states and in Michigan and Iowa. The General Secretary
serves as RCA's chief executive officer, whose duties include nurturing a
vision to guide the denomination's future direction.

    RCA's General Synod, like the General Assembly of the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.), brings together ministers, elders, ecumenical delegates
and others from the denomination to deliberate and decide important issues
crucial to the church's future.

    Two years ago, the RCA's General Synod adopted a "Statement of Mission
and Vision" that included a "Formula of Agreement" that paved the way for a
relationship between the RCA, the PC(USA), the United Church of Christ
(UCC) and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

    Referring to the church's mission statement, Granberg-Michaelson
outlined four areas the denomination must live out in order to solidify
RCA's ministry in mission:

    As his image was beamed across two large television screens,
Granberg-Michaelson called on RCA boards and committees to make mission and
future direction a higher priority in meetings, so that the denomination
can "look outward, engaging the world and imagining the future."

    Despite the fact that many of  RCA's 46 classes (a class includes
several RCA congregations in the same geographic region) already have
seriously studied their mission and vision, he called upon the rest to do
the same, because "if we don't have a clear sense of where we are going and
what our challenges are -  a sense of mission -  our meetings are much more
likely to center around `administrivia.'"

    While administrative matters remain important, he said, with budgets
and structures often requiring even more attention than ever, "neither are
they the center of focus." He added that "our mission ought to even change
the way we engage each other at this year's General Synod."

    Funding is essential, Granberg-Michaelson said, and that means raising
money to allow the wheels of the church to spin. As examples of fiscal
obligations, he pointed to staff salaries; upgrading RCA's computer system;
publishing the church magazine to "link us together for mission and
ministry"; and holding General Synods for important decision-making.

    "Mission needs all these things," he said. "In short, mission needs the
assessment budget."

    He said the church has worked diligently for four years to obtain
mission objectives without raising assessments by more than the cost of
living.

    In April, he said, when the staff proposed that the General Synod
Council  increase the year-2000 assessment by 4.75 percent to cover the
basic and essential cost of  "stepping out in mission," the figure was
reduced to 3.75 percent by cutting travel and face-to-face meetings,
possibly at the expense of "moving forward" with ideas for creative
ministry that could benefit congregations.

    Money must come from other corners of the church as well, said
Granberg-Michaelson, stressing the importance of RCA's Urban Ministries
Fund Drive, a campaign to raise $5 million for present and future ministry
in U.S. cities. He announced a gift of $1 million for the endowment fund of
the RCA Foundation, from Marvin and Jerene DeWitt, of Zeeland, Michigan.

    "Mission needs money," Granberg-Michaelson said. "We are grateful for
the growing generosity of those in the RCA who believe in our mission and
want to participate financially in moving us toward God's future."

    Granberg-Michaelson drew a comparison to the Lewis and Clark
expedition, which succeeded because its members summoned the determination
and dedication to accomplish their objective despite their differences. He
said the church must continue to think creatively about how to strengthen
the patterns of cooperation among the various structures of the
denomination.

    "We cannot afford to be divided by our structures if we intend to be
together in mission," he said.

    If the RCA is to reverse a downward trend in membership, it must work
together with other denominations to increase its reach in mission and
ministry, Granberg-Michaelson said.

    Again referring to expedition of Lewis and Clark, the general secretary
pointed out how 50 people from a variety of national and racial backgrounds
were united in a single cause. The key for the church, he said, is to keep
its focus on mission in the midst of the healthy diversity of ethnic,
cultural, and theological perspectives. The mission staffs of RCA, PC(USA),
the UCC and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America have been meeting to
discuss how they can cooperate for the sake of their common calling.
Likewise, the faith groups are sharing approaches to educational
ministries, communication, evangelism, new-church development and
racial/ethnic ministry.

    "The camp is established," concluded Granberg-Michaelson, "but soon we
must choose whether to move on to face the next challenge, the next
obstacle ...  as we follow Christ in mission." He said that he hopes and
prays that the RCA can echo the words of Meriwether Lewis, who described
his group as "zealously attached to the enterprise and anxious to proceed
 ... all in unison with everything to hope and nothing to fear."

    He said there are plans for RCA to establish 80 new congregations over
the next five years - "and I think we can do it." In addition, a new
initiative to revitalize the mission and ministry of local churches is
expected to involve 200 pastors and congregations over the next couple of
years, he said.

    "These combined initiatives, I am confident, will reverse the decline
in RCA membership," Granberg-Michaelson said. "But they depend upon our
being radically attentive to the world outside our doors."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org