From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Committee Holds Open Hearings on Ecumenical Issues

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:25:05

GA99038
21-June-1999

        Committee Holds Open Hearings on Ecumenical Issues

FORT WORTH   Relating to other Christians and talking with other religions
dominated the work of the Assembly Committee on Catholicity and Ecumenical
Relations on Monday.
     The Committee held open hearings on proposed "Presbyterian Principles
for Interfaith Dialogue."  Martha Murchison, interim pastor of First
Presbyterian Church, Hillsboro, Texas, and a member of the
Catholic/Reformed dialogue, urged the committee to adopt the principles.
Pluralism "is a gift of God to help us understand our neighbors," she told
the committee, "but we do need guidelines for dialogue and training for
dialogue...Revelation is a power of the Holy Spirit; it is not in our
hands.  By going and speaking with others, we open the way for the Holy
Spirit to act."
     The Committee also held hearings on whether or not the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) should "enter into a new relationship to be called Churches
Uniting in Christ."  This recommendation comes from the Special Committee
on the Consultation on Church Union.  It calls for churches who agree to
this relationship to:
      recognize one another as "authentic expressions of the one church of
Jesus Christ;"
      accept as valid baptisms and ordinations performed in any
participating church;
      celebrate the Eucharist together regularly; and
      engage in mission together, "especially a shared mission to combat
racism."
     One speaker opposing the proposal accused it of being too vague, and
urged the committee to delay action until a more specific proposal could be
brought to a future Assembly. Thomas Johnston, Executive of the Synod of
the Trinity, urged the committee to recommend entering the new
relationship.  He described it as "a reconciliation of mission" between the
traditionally separate African-American churches and the mainline
denominations.  "We have set aside any attempt to create a big, monolithic
church," Johnston said, and are "coming together out of a vision of being
the church in American at this time."
     Walter Ungerer, who had been a candidate for moderator, asked, "Can we
do the same thing without these recommendations?"  Johnston answered, "If
we do not seize this opportunity to move ahead, missional initiatives at a
local level will be severely diminished, and it is unlikely there will be
the energy and initiative to pursue this again."
     The Committee will act later on the "Presbyterian Principles for
Interfaith Dialogue." They will vote Tuesday on the recommendations from
the Special Committee on the Consulation on Church Union.

Peggy Rounseville

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org