From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christianity Is Too `Foreign' to Thrive in Japan

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:25:39

3-June-1999
99217

    Christianity Is Too `Foreign' to Thrive in Japan

    `Going Christian' is often viewed as a betrayal of Japanese culture

    by Evan Silverstein

HIROSHIMA, Japan  - For Min Kyu Kim, practicing Christianity in Japan
hasn't always been easy. He says his colleagues stare at him when he says
grace before a meal or speaks of Sunday worship.

    It doesn't appear that things are likely to get easier anytime soon for
Japanese Christians, who constitute only about 1 percent of the population.
Church attendance is down, and growth is very slow.

    "It's quite frustrating," Kim said recently after a Sunday service at
crowded Hiroshima Korean Church, which had about 80 people packed into its
pews. That's an unusually large turnout for a Christian congregation in
Japan; the national average attendance at worship is just 35. "Even during
lunch, the employees at work, if I pray, they're quick to notice that I'm
different, very foreign - even though I look the same."

    Christianity has not flourished in Japan in recent years as it has in
some of its Asian neighbors, notably South Korea, China and the
Philippines. In Japan, where most people are Shinto/Buddhist, Christianity
is still regarded as a "foreign" creed - admirable, perhaps, but unsuitable
for ordinary Japanese.

    "For most Japanese, there's the idea that if you've become a Christian,
you've given up part of your Japanese-ness," said the Rev. Bill Moore, a
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) mission worker in Japan along with his wife,
Ann. "Sometimes it's almost as if you've betrayed your culture ...
especially for the Japanese, who have such a strong national identity."

    That's the story heard repeatedly by a nine-member PC(USA) delegation
that visited numerous religious and educational institutions in Asia during
March and April. The tour, led by the Rev. Douglas Oldenburg, the General
Assembly moderator, saluted the church's involvement in education worldwide
as part of this "Year with Education."

    Moore said Christians are often perceived as "anti-social" or "selfish"
for "breaking the harmony of the family unit" by not observing many
traditional Shinto and Buddhist rituals, especially that of praying to
spirits to recognize the dead.

    "While the Christian church is tolerated ... the Christian faith does
not belong in Japan," Moore said. "It's the consensus that Christian faith
means the West, and that does not fit into Japanese culture."

    Japan's population of 125 million includes about 1.5 million
Christians, approximately 1 percent, according to 1995 statistics. The
country has almost 450,000 Catholics in about 800 parishes in 16 dioceses,
and Protestants have 7,726 churches with about 527,000 members. The figures
also include a small population of Orthodox Christians.

    In contrast, Shinto, an indigenous religion based on ancestor and
nature worship, has about  117 million members in 200 sects and
denominations, while Buddhism, an imported faith centering around mental
and moral self-purification, has nearly 90 million followers in 207 sects
and denominations. Virtually all Japanese, except Christians, are regarded
as being Shintoist; most are also Buddhist.

    "In Japan, it's easier not to be Christian," said Moore, whose
responsibilities include establishing new congregations in a northern
suburb of Osaka and Kobe. "It's always easier to do what the majority
does."

    In the late 19th century, Shinto was made a state religion, stressing
worship of the Emperor as a divinity and the racial superiority of the
Japanese. All Japanese, regardless of their religious affiliations, were
forced to worship at Shinto shrines.

    In 1941, to solidify control over religious groups, the government
limited its official recognition to only two Christian bodies, one
consisting of Roman Catholics and the other a forced union of all
Protestants. This newly formed entity was known as Kyodan or the United
Church of Christ in Japan, which today has about 200,000 members. In 1946,
Allied occupation authorities stripped Shinto of its state-religion status
and reduced it to the level of a sect.

    On Jan. 1, 1946, Emperor Hirohito renounced all claim to divinity. The
Japanese constitution of 1947 re-established absolute freedom of religion
in the country and officially ended state support of Shinto. While many
Japanese became Christians, their numbers soon began to decline.

    In today's Japan, other factors, including the standard six-day work
week and the practice of requiring children to attend school two or three
Saturdays a month, serve as incentives for families to skip church on
Sundays and spend "quality time" at home. Sunday school attendance also is
down.

    Kim said he barely has time to attend worship, because he often has to
work on Sunday, and many social activities also take place on that day. He
said he struggles to find spiritual and social balance.

    An American visitor at Kim's church echoed his comments.

    "Here is very different. I feel lonely, like it's not so friendly,"
said Do Dan Esaka, a Korean woman from Chicago. "In the United States, the
Korean church is very friendly; maybe I don't understand how things are
when I come here."

    Currently, a mere 0.22 percent of Japan's population attends Christian
services. Total church attendance was up by only 1.5 percent last year.
Such trends are prompting serious concern about the future of the Christian
church in Japan. Congregations nationwide face dwindling attendance and
aging memberships.

    "Rumor has it that in 20 years nearly half of our churches will be
vacant and for sale, since our elderly membership will have passed away
with no young people to replenish the churches," said the Rev. Kyohei
Minaga, the general secretary of the Council on Cooperative Mission in
Tokyo, which is comprised of churches, social-work institutions and schools
that cater to Christians.

    Attracting new members is like trying "to draw water with a bamboo
basket," Minaga added, employing an old Japanese proverb.

    And when a Christian church does manage to attract new members, he
said, they often lose them after a short while.

    "A Christian sociologist said that Japanese Christians have an average
`life span' of two years and eight months," Minaga said, adding that "we do
not see many young faces in the church today."

    The future is now as far as the 9,000-member Reformed Church in Japan
(RCJ) is concerned. If the 53-year-old denomination is to survive, it must
instill the Gospel in young members, Reformed leaders told the delegation
during its visit to Nagoya, a manufacturing center about 200 miles north of
Osaka.

    "Leadership training for the young people, the next generation and the
next generation is our main concern," said the Rev. Yasunori Ichikawa, a
professor at the RCJ's only seminary, in Kobe. "So they will grow in such a
way (that) they can take the foundation of our Reformed faith and overcome
our weaknesses and go forward into the 21st century."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org