From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CMD Beefs Up Marketing and Management of Curriculum Publishing

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:26:39

1-June-1999
99213

    CMD Beefs Up Marketing and Management
    of Curriculum Publishing Enterprise

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - With the much-anticipated new "Covenant People"
curriculum nearing completion, two personnel changes designed to bolster
the chances that the new curriculum will be a commercial success have been
announced.

    In a release dated May 26, interim Congregational Ministries Division
(CMD) director the Rev. Richard M. Ferguson, announced that Donna
Blackstock, former associate director for CMD's Curriculum Publishing
Program Area (CPPA), has been named editorial director, and that James D.
Marchal has joined the staff as interim publisher for CPPA through December
1999.

    "Covenant People" has been in development for five years, and CPPA,
having invested heavily in it, is banking on robust sales of the new
curriculum when it goes on sale next year.

    "This management shift will provide for additional editorial services,
while continuing the excellent services of the current editorial staff, and
allow a greater focus on identifying current and future editorial needs and
opportunities of our Presbyterian congregations and publishing partners,"
Ferguson said.

    Marchal, who started his own consulting business after working for many
years as a business manager for the Gannett newspaper chain and the "The
(Louisville) Courier-Journal," will help develop a business plan for CPPA
and a marketing strategy for "Covenant People." He most recently provided
consulting services for development of a marketing strategy for  the
Presbyterian Investment and Loan Program and CPPA during the summer of
1998.

    "Management's goal will continue to be forecasting, overseeing and
strengthening the infrastructure of [CPPA]," Marchal said. "We will
continue to be responsible for ensuring customer satisfaction and employee
development, as well as managing with the best business practices. We will
utilize state-of-the-art audience and market segmentation and sales
techniques that are appropriate within the Presbyterian community."

    Blackstock said she is looking forward to working with Marchal.

    "Jim and I have developed a solid working relationship," she said. "We
communicate well with each other and will make a strong management team."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org