From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Robert Shelton Addresses Small Church Breakfast

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:27:23

GA99090
24-June-1999

         Robert Shelton Addresses Small Church Breakfast

FORT WORTH-"Never lose the joy of ministry" was Dr. Robert Shelton's
message to those attending Thursday morning's Small Church Breakfast.   He
cited John 15:11, " so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be
complete."  The joy in the Christian life, he said, is broader and deeper
than a sense of happiness.  It is the sense that what we are about has
deeper meaning, the deep meaning of being the people of God today.  Without
joy, Shelton said, we lose our passion and commitment.
     Christianity is a personal religion, he continued.  It is personal
both on God's side and on our side.  It is personal on God's side as God
cares for us as if God had no other children.  All the way through the
Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, it is personal as God repeats the
promise to be our God and charges us to be his people.  At the heart of
worship is the meeting between God and God's called out people. Worship, he
said, is not simply a meeting of individuals.  We should go to church on
Sunday morning with tingling fingers and shivers of excitement because we
are going to meet God.  The smaller membership church has a real advantage
with respect to the personal because all members have a chance to
participate and to have their gifts for ministry discovered.  In the
smaller membership church, he said, each one is called by name.  It is
almost impossible to exclude anyone, and that's good.  There can be more
flexibility because there are fewer levels of bureaucracy.  Shelton shared
the story of the deacon who declined nomination to the session of his
church because as an elder he would have to give up ministry.  The point,
he said, is that joy comes not in talking about ministry but in being in
ministry.  He concluded by saying, "If you find your joy in ministry
slipping, find a way to recover it.  Joy and love cast out fear and anger
and judgmentalism.  Joy allows you to engage in the vocation of being the
people of God in the world today."
     Shelton is President of Austin Theological Seminary where he is also
Jean Brown Professor of Homiletics and Liturgics.

Nancy Rodman

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org