From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Learning to Talk Without Anger are Keys to Unity

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:27:37

GA99022
19-June-1999

           New Moderator Says Prayer, Learning to Talk
                 Without Anger are Keys to Unity

FORT WORTH Presbyterians need to develop a deeper commitment to praying
together if they are to overcome the divisions that threaten the unity of
the church, new moderator Freda A.  Gardner told a crowded press conference
after her election Saturday night.
     "It's Christ's church, not ours," Gardner said, "and we get in trouble
whenever we think otherwise."
     As moderator, Gardner said she hopes to work with congregations,
pastors and elders to learn anew how to talk with one another about the
issues that divide the church.  "I like to think that my election means
that these commissioners want to be open, caring and considerate ... to say
what they think honestly without being angry or defensive."
     Asked about the depth of the divisions in the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.), Gardner responded that she "is not optimistic about early
consensus on many of these issues, but too many of us feel called to be
God's last defender."  She said the whole church, not just individuals, are
seeking truth "and God will protect the church and take care of God's
self."  Our job, she continued, "is to take care of each other."
     People are leaving the church for good reasons, Gardner said.  "They
are not finding what they are looking for and we should be asking them what
they are looking for and we're failing to provide it."  She said she
recently asked a group of young people why they don't go to church on
Sunday morning.  "Some of them said its because they want to sleep in on
Sunday morning and no banner we can wave will make sleeping in look less
desirable to them."
     But more importantly, she added, " many said, 'I don't know enough
about the Bible to come to church.'"
     "Hello?" Gardner said.  "That's what Bible study is for and we have to
make to make it all right for them to come seeking."

by Jerry Van Marter

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org