From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Rev. James Forbes Offers Words of Hope for a Divided Church

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:27:49

GA99072
23-June-1999

              Rev. James Forbes Offers Words of Hope
                       for a Divided Church

FORT WORTH-In the gentle yet powerful voice that is a hallmark of his
eloquent speech, the Rev. James Forbes, senior minister of the Riverside
Church, New York, N.Y., responded to the questions of an eager public,
Wednesday, June 23.
     In a news conference following the Ecumenical Service of Worship
honoring the Jubilee Anniversary of the World Council of Churches, Forbes
addressed a broad spectrum of issues from communications to race relations.
     Responding to the question of what is most needed in the church today,
Forbes emphasized both recovery of trust and the confidence that God is at
work in the world.  "At the heart of human sinfulness," Forbes asserted,
"is our unwillingness to accept the security which God offers."  What is
called for, he continued, "is the confidence that God is at work in the
world, so that we will be alert to where God's actions are manifested
beyond even our ecclesiastical boundaries."
     Following his passionate sermon stressing the work we must do and
inviting action, Forbes enumerated the specific causes and actions he
emphasizes and undertakes in his life and ministry.  Naming the elimination
of poverty, the Jubilee Year of the World Council of Churches and the move
toward forgiveness of Third World debt, welfare reform, and the issue of
violence, Forbes elaborated on the latter, calling  for the "recovery of a
paradigm of cooperation, of involvement, and mutual interdependence, [to]
thereby reduce the kind of compulsive response in terms of violence."
     "Given the aggression," Forbes said, "there has got to be space for a
lot of forgiveness."
     In his own life, Forbes acknowledged a search for greater balance.
The more anthropocentric view he has held in the past has yielded to a
broader sense of ecology, "that understands that we are all connected.  The
various orders of creation," he stated, "have more to do with our
fulfillment than we were aware of." Forbes confessed also, as one who had
come from a Pentecostal background, to a new freedom to talk about the
power of the Spirit.  "The social transformative ministry we all look
forward to," he said, "will not take apart from inviting spiritual
revitalization."
     On the subject of race relations, Forbes dismissed the notion of "good
old" race relations, stating that a paradigm shift was called for.  "Black
folks," he said, "must be viewed by white people as Jesus," and vice versa.
"And Latins and Hispanics and Asians have to come to see that God has
buried the potential of our future development in the precincts of those
from whom we have been alienated."
     Finally, Forbes offered a word of hope for a divided church, calling
the church to discover work situations in which those on both sides of the
theological debate may serve together, such as AIDS and Habitat for
Humanity .  Evoking the themes of his sermon entitled, "The Work We Are
Sent to Do,"  Forbes advised those in the church to take the agenda of
their deliberation from their adversaries, seeking out ways to work
together.  "We should be experts on the things we must do with our
enemies," Forbes observed.  "There should probably be work projects if we
believe we should be reconciled in the God who has made us."

Emily Enders Odom

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org