From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterian Older Adult Ministry Network Hears Oldenburg

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:28:38

GA99049
23-June-1999

                Presbyterian Older Adult Ministry
                          Network Hears Oldenburg

FORT WORTH-Over 100 commissioners and members of the Presbyterian Older
Adult Ministry Network gathered for their annual breakfast on Tuesday
morning. Greetings were brought by the group's president Kathy Barlow
Westmoreland. A report by Miriam Dunson, Associate for Older Adult
Ministry, brought the group up to date.  General Assembly Moderator Freda
Gardner spoke briefly to those assembled expressing her appreciation for
and identification with the group. She explained her strong advocacy for
older adult ministry saying that it was "Retirement is not retirement from
discipleship."
     Next Westmoreland introduced former Moderator Douglas Oldenburg who
brought the keynote address. Treating the subject of time, Oldenburg began
by affirming the need for the church to become more aware of aging people
as a resource.  Oldenburg said, " The older I get the more I become aware
of the needs of children. The greatest source for helping the children of
our country is older adults."
     Moving into his discussion of "time," Oldenburg observed that "time"
in youth, because of  its abundance, is a friend. However, with age it
becomes an enemy for several reasons. First, there is the complete lack of
time in age. Second, it is an enemy because of the awareness of death and
the latent fear of what lies beyond. Finally, there is the reality that our
time is running out to do what we like to do.
     This is magnified by a realization of the limits of our vocational
activity, and the inevitable deterioration of the body, which leads to the
end of the life we love. As the former moderator summed it up, "It is the
sudden angry awareness of the frailty of our tenure among the things we
love so much."
     In closing he challenged the group with the acknowledgment that though
we have no control over the quantity of life, we do have control of the
quality. He said, "Quantity is finite.  Quality is infinite. Survival must
mean 'time filled full' with the things that count." Quality of time makes
it a friend in age rather than the enemy.

Emett H. Barfield

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org