From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Caucus President Challenges Group

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:28:51

GA99100
24-June-1999

                   Caucus President Challenges Group
               to Move Toward Forefront of Church

FORT WORTH    With fiery conviction, the Rev. Curtis Jones urged members of
the National Black Presbyterian Caucus (NBPC) Wednesday to heal themselves
by rising to the forefront of the church.
     Speaking to more than 100 people here at the Radisson Plaza Hotel,
Jones, president of the Presbyterian caucus and pastor of the Madison
Avenue Presbyterian Church in Baltimore, Md., told members of the audience
to heal themselves by stepping up their activeness in both the church and
caucus.
     "We are in the Presbyterian Church but black folks are not in the
forefront of the Presbyterian Church. Do you want to be healed?" he asked
waving his arms and stomping his feet.
     "We've got a black Presbyterian caucus and all black Presbyterians are
not members of the caucus. We relate to the caucus in the same way we
relate to our church, 'I'll go sometime when I get ready, if I like the
preacher, if my choir is singing.' The prescription is not to the preacher,
not to the choir, not to the building, but to the Lord, God all mighty."
     It is the purpose of the NBPC, consistent with the PC(USA)'s
commitment to a diverse ministry, to affirm an authentic African-American
religious witness. The group's goals are shaped into programs that address
the critical concerns of African-American Presbyterians. The caucus
includes as its major ministry and mission priorities: black heritage
awareness; nurturing black family life and developing Christian
discipleship and lay leadership for ministry and mission.
     Stirring the crowd by saying " somebody needs to pray with me," Jones
said PC(USA) has sounded a challenge that must be answered by
African-Americans by increasing minority participation in the looming new
millennium.
     "We crawl up in the drama of life and the denomination has said that
we are too white and by the year 2010 we need to be a little more
integrated," he said. "And so they have set a quota of 20 percent. I know I
shouldn't use quota so let me say, 'Benchmark.' They set a benchmark of 20
percent and have challenged us to rise to the occasion and to somehow
increase the racial-ethnic villager in the life of the church."
     But to accomplish the objective of more fully integrating the church,
African-Americans must stop being complacent if they are to make a
difference.
     "This radical dimension of healing that Jesus is lifting up indeed has
implications for our Presbyterian Church today," he said. "For we indeed
can identify with the brother who has been on his pallet, has been lying on
the bed of affliction. We've been making excuses and we've gotten
comfortable with a certain status-quo."
     Jones said while no one is perfect, African-Americans cannot allow
"petty contradictions" to block a higher vision of calling to the church.
     "You cannot allow these individual differences to separate us and deny
the unity that is absolutely essential if black Presbyterians are to make a
difference in this denomination and in this world," he said.

Evan Silverstein

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org