From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Committee Approves Resolution Seeking Study of Same-Sex Benefits

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:29:07

GA99053
24-June-1999

                  Committee Approves Resolution
               Seeking Study of Same-Sex Benefits

FORT WORTH   A General Assembly Committee narrowly approved an overture
Tuesday calling for the General Assembly to instruct the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) Board of Pensions (BOP) to conduct a feasibility study on
providing lay church employees in same-sex relationships with the same
employment benefits as married couples.
        After much debate and testimony during public hearings Monday
night, the overture sponsored by the Presbytery of Twin Cities passed
yesterday by a vote of 20-15, with five committee members abstaining.
     But the measure, which was amended to exclude the partners of clergy,
still must travel the potentially bumpy road of the floor of the 211th
General Assembly. The overture was set for debate Wednesday night at 7:30.
     Despite that, proponents described the Committee's approval as at
least a small victory for homosexual civil rights in the PC(USA), even if
the overture dies at the hands of Assembly commissioners.
     "Every little victory is a victory," said James D. Anderson, a member
of the More Light Presbyterians, the newly-named union of the former
Presbyterians for Lesbian and Gay Concerns with the former More Light
Churches Network. "It's going to be very interesting to see what they do. I
think it's great. If they actually do it, it's a big step forward when they
actually implement it."
     The overture, which specifies same-sex lay employees in "long-term
committed relationships," was amended to exclude such relationships
involving ordained clergy. The change came after a member of the overture's
sponsoring presbytery suggested the move to avert a conflict with PC(USA)'s
long-standing policy against ordaining sexually active gays and lesbians.
     "In the open hearing a number of people suggested to me that this
overture was really about ordination standards and (if) the Board of
Pensions were to do what this asks it would be in violation of the
ordination standards," said Dick Lundy, an advocate for the ordination of
gays through the More Light Presbyterians. "That's not my intention, that's
not the intention of the overture so this amendment makes it clear that
we're talking about lay employees who (would be) covered by the plan. That
is, we're not talking about folks who are ordained, we're talking about lay
employees of the church."
     The overture's fairly close approval margin is an indication that
people still remain divided when considering issues surrounding
homosexuality, according to the man heading the committee.
     "It shows the tension we still live under," said David Lambertson of
Central Washington Presbytery. "When a vote is like this we still have not
come to a consensus yet."
     Another Committee member asked who would define the definition of a
long-term committed relationship.
     Pointing to benefits provided to employees involved in same-sex
relationships by corporations such as Walt Disney, Jayne Ruiz of Central
Florida Presbytery urged the Committee to approve the measure.
     "With my background in health-care with Hospice...I don't believe in
punishing people ...  for their lifestyle," she said.
     In other action, the Committee:
     *   approved amending commissioner's resolution 99-6, which recommends
the   Assembly not stop a business venture between the Presbyterian
Publishing Corporation (PPC) and the Presbyterian Lay Committee called the
Presbyterian Pipeline. The change adds the Lay Committee as one of the
entities to be involved in discussions between PPC and the General Assembly
Council or "its successor" on the "negative effect of the Lay Committee ...
on the mission of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)."
      *  Confirmed Robert W. Maggs, Jr., a veteran banking executive and
attorney, as president of the Board of Pensions. Maggs was elected as
president at a special meeting of the board in Long Beach, Calif., May 21.
If confirmed by the Assembly, he will begin his work at the Board of
Pensions offices in Philadelphia on July 6.

Evan Silverstein

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org