From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Committees reflected on Great Ends

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:29:44

GA99077
23-June-1999

                Committees reflected on Great Ends

FORT WORTH-Commissioners will note that each committee's report includes a
paragraph about its own reflection on the Great Ends of the Church. One aim
of this exercise was  to focus the perspective of committee work on those
things  Presbyterians have in common, on our unity within our diversity.
     Although the responses from all committees will doubtless be gathered
elsewhere, a particularly creative one from the Assembly Committee on Life
in Global Community  is quoted here.
     "Several observations emerged as significant to our experience of the
church and its work.  First it was apparent to us that the Great Ends are
dependent on each other; no one can stand alone as a description of the
church's calling.
     "Second, we observed that each of us finds herself or himself
particularly drawn to certain of the Great Ends, depending upon our own
gifts for ministry. For example, preachers are often drawn to Proclamation,
while teachers are more often drawn to the shelter and nurture of the
children of God.
     "Third, we observed that the Great Ends reflect the diversity we
experience in our life together. Inasmuch as they reflect diversity, they
also point us toward complementarity.  In other words, just as no one of
the Great Ends can summarize ministry alone, so we need each other in our
diversity to keep us whole.
     "A final observation made was that, sadly, our system of majority rule
does not encourage and value the way the gospel calls us to
interdependence."

Midge Mack

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org