From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Rolston, Chisholm Receive Writing Awards

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:29:58

GA99089
25-June-1999

             Rolston, Chisholm Receive Writing Awards

FORT WORTH-Introduced as "the father of environmental ethics," Presbyterian
minister and philosophy professor Holmes Rolston III received the 1999
Distinguished Writer Award and a check for $1,000 from the Presbyterian
Writers Guild at a luncheon Thursday, June 24.
     The James W. Angell Award was presented by the Guild to Cathy Cummings
Chisholm for her book of poems and photos, "Landscapes of the Heart,"
published by Bridge Resources. The $500 Angell award honors new writers and
is given annually to the Presbyterian author with the best first book.
     Chisholm is pastor of First Presbyterian Church of Vandalia, Ill., and
former chair of the General Assembly Council.  A representative of Bridge
Resources also presented her with the Independent Publishers Book Award for
authoring one of the three best books on spirituality in 1998.
     Rolston began his address to the Writers Guild by recalling his
Presbyterian upbringing in the South. His father was a Presbyterian pastor
and the young Rolston attended Davidson College and Union Theological
Seminary in Virginia.  He spent 10 years as a pastor in rural southwest
Virginia.
     "I tried to be a good Presbyterian the problem was I had a wild streak
in me," Rolston said.
     His growing fascination with science and religion, as he described it,
soon made him "a Presbyterian going wild."  He went on to study the
philosophy of science.  But most theologians and philosophy professors he
talked with tried to discourage his interest in biology.

     "When I became interested in the natural world," he said, "I found I
had to fight theology to love nature."  Yet he found in the Bible constant
reminders of the natural universe.
     In 1997 Ralston became the first American Presbyterian to  deliver the
Gifford Lectures at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.  His lectures
were published in book form this year under the title "Genes, Genesis and
God."

Eva Stimson

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org