From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Scouts Honor Diaz For Service to Youth and God

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:30:23

GA99069
24-June-1999

          Scouts Honor Diaz For Service to Youth and God

FORT WORTH   The Rev. Frank Diaz, former interim executive director of the
General Assembly Council, remembers when the only world he knew was a
nearby borough known as "Little Mexico."
     For the first 15 years of his life he had never left the neighborhood,
until he discovered scouting. His awareness of the outside world and of the
values needed to rise to the top of church life all started with a simple
camping trip and scrambled eggs.
     "The first meal we had in the morning, the scout master went out there
and started a fire, we cooked some eggs, scrambled eggs," he told scouts
and scout masters Tuesday during the National Association of Presbyterian
Scouters (NAPS) "Duty to God" breakfast at the Petroleum Club. "But it is
more than that. It really builds the values that I hold today. Values that
my Sunday school teachers imparted to us (as well as) pastors that I had
over the years."
     Presbyterian churches are the fifth largest user of the scouting
program among the religious chartered organizations of the Boy Scouts of
America. Like Diaz, who never forgot his scouting days, scouting never
forgot him, as NAPS presented him with the God and Service award for his
dedication to youth and God.
     "This is indeed a great honor. I accept this award with great
humility," Diaz, 65, said.  "...This was my life for all these many years."
     Indeed, he has a long service record in scouting, not to mention the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
     A scout since his mid-teens, he soon got the chance to mold young
minds as an adult leader at age 19, an unusually young age for such a
responsibility, according to Russell Fury, past president of NAPS. He later
married and shared his leadership role, a  position he held for 22 years,
with his wife Shirley.
     Diaz pointed out that the road to success consists of more than just
scrambled eggs, which he noted remains his favorite breakfast to this day.
The graduate of Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary at age 46, Diaz
became a leader of local congregations and a church officer.  He served
pastorates in Texas prior to joining the national staff in 1989.
     Diaz, who became a Presbyterian when his mother was converted in the
crop fields of Texas, served as interim executive director of the General
Assembly Council (GAC) from 1996- 1998. Before that he was the GAC
associate director for seven years. Diaz most recently ran unsuccessfully
for moderator of the 211th General Assembly, finishing second to retired
theological seminary professor Freda Gardner.
     "I recently joined a club in our Presbyterian Church called the
'almost club,'" he joked of his quest to become moderator.
     NAPS represents the link between Boy Scouting and PC(USA), which Diaz
stills helps promote by appearing on a video tape about the organization.
NAPS was formed in 1986 to encourage congregations to become chartered
partners with scouting in ministering to youth families   although actually
the relationship between Presbyterian congregations, their youth
ministries, and the scouting programs date back more than 86 years. Today
there are more than 140,000 members in nearly 4,000  Presbyterian-chartered
Boy Scout packs, Boy Scout troops, Varsity Scout teams and Explorer posts.
     "He himself and his leadership is an indication of getting things done
and getting people to work with him," said Fury. "His remarks, I must say
are a message to all of us and are indicating that scouting is a tool that
can be used to strengthen young people and also often is geared to open our
churches to youth in the community."
     Former General Assembly Moderator Patricia G. Brown, who served as
emcee of the breakfast, said she had a plea for the scouts to continue "to
work with young men and young women to show them the possibilities that are
different from the ones they may know now."

Evan Silverstein

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org