From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Exhibit-Hall Seller of Craft Items SERRVs Up Living Wages

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:30:26

Ga99083
23-June-1999

                Exhibit-Hall Seller of Craft Items
         SERRVs Up Living Wages for Third World Artisans

FORT WORTH   This is the ninth year that SERRV International has come to
the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to sell handmade
products made by low-income craftsmen and women from more than 30 nations
around the globe.
     SERRV brought more than $120,000 in inventory to the Assembly, and the
non-profit organization expects to sell at least $70,000 worth before it
packs up and moves its traveling bazaar to its next road-trip venue   the
General Conference of the Church of the Brethren, to be held June 29-July 4
in Milwaukee, Wis.
     "Your General Assembly is probably our single most important event of
the year," says Sheila Buttner Law, SERRV's public relations coordinator.
"Right from the start, the Presbyterian Church has been the denomination
that has been most supportive.  Of the approximately 3,500 churches that
sponsor sales for us each year, 700 to 800 are Presbyterian.  For some
reason, Presbyterians have just never stopped being supportive.  They give
more money to the project than any other denomination."
     SERRV collects about two-thirds of its revenues in sales sponsored by
local churches of a variety of denominations.  The remainder is about
evenly divided among retail (SERRV has two stores of its own and sells
through a nationwide network of non-profits), mail-order, and sales during
special events like GA.
     According to Law, 30 percent to 35 percent of sales revenues actually
makes its way to the 40,000-plus artisans   three-quarters of them women
who produce the kites and candlesticks, drums and canes, Christmas
ornaments and bookends, clerical stoles and table runners, statues and
carpets, gee-gaws, doo-dads and what-nots that SERRV markets   meaning that
sales during GA, less expenses, will put more than $20,000 in the pockets
of the artisans and their families.
     SERRV claims that every $100 in sales supports a family in the
developing world for a month.
     SERRV was founded half a century ago, after World War II, as a mission
project of the Church of the Brethren (COB).  It bought indigenous
handcrafts at fair prices from impoverished European refugees and marketed
them through American churches.  In February, the organization ended its
long affiliation with COB, sometimes known as "the peace church," an
Anabaptist denomination with about 150,000 members in the United States
that is similar in many respects to the better-known Mennonites and
Quakers.
     "It was just decided that it was time for us to kind of grow up," Law
says, adding that four members of SERRV's seven-person board of directors
are COB members.
     When SERRV contracts with a group of artisans, it negotiates a fair
price, pays the artisans 50 percent up-front, and meets the cost of
shipping the products to the port of Baltimore, near the organization's
headquarters in New Windsor, Md.
     Each of the artisan groups is visited by a SERRV representative at
least once every three years   "and we're in touch with them constantly by
telephone, fax, mail, whatever," Law says.
     Finding products to sell is no problem.  "We don't have to look for
them," Law says. "We're constantly hearing from people who travel overseas
they used to be missionaries, but now they're often people on academic or
fact-finding trips.  Every day we get five to 10 calls."
     One such call recently put SERRV in touch with "Sarajevo Phoenix," a
group of 16 Yugoslavian women who embroider clerical stoles and "Peace"
wall hangings that were an immediate hit with SERRV's Product Selection
Committee and are featured in the organization's latest catalog.
     SERRV, a member organization of the Fair Trade Federation and the
International Federation for Alternative Trade, has 25 full-time employees,
but depends heavily on volunteers like the eight men and women who have
been minding the store during this Assembly.  "We could not exist without
volunteers," Law says.
     SERRV is a Christian organization that believes it is "really putting
the Gospel to work," she says, but it does no evangelizing   and the
artisan groups it sponsors don't have to be Christians.
     "We're known for quality and one-of-a-kind," she says.  "We try to
keep our prices reasonable   we're not cheap   and we try to see that our
artisans get a fair price for the wonderful things they make."
     To learn how your church can sponsor a sale, or to receive the latest
SERRV catalog, call toll-free: 1-800-723-3712.

John Filiatreau

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org