From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Seminary Students Learn Ins & Outs of Polity

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:30:30

GA99080
23-June-1999

           Seminary Students Learn Ins & Outs of Polity
            From PC(USA) Professor Who's a 'GA junkie'

FORT WORTH   If you really want to know what's happening during the 211th
General Assembly here, buttonhole one of the seminary students in Jack
Rogers' course, "Presbyterianism: Principles and Practice."
     They're the only people who are likely to be able to tell you what
happened, for example, in two committee meetings that took place
simultaneously.
     That's because Rogers, vice-president theology professor for Southern
California at San Francisco Theological Seminary (SFTS), has 29 fired-up
students at the GA this year, fanned out around the Fort Worth Convention
Center and other assembly venues, energetically keeping tabs on all the
major players and reporting back to the whole group.
     The students are fired up because Rogers' own passion is contagious.
     "I love it. This is the only place where you see the whole church, and
I need that," Rogers says. "I'm kind of a GA junkie. I've got to get my fix
every year."
     This is Rogers' 26th General Assembly. He attended his first, in
Rochester, N.Y., in 1971, as a commissioner, and has missed only a couple
since then.
     He started bringing students with him in 1993.
     "I had friends and colleagues who said, 'Oh, don't do it! They'll see
all the problems in the church; they'll get discouraged,'" Rogers says.
"But it happens just like I thought: I bring them in and let them see
everything, warts and all, and it energizes them. It sets them on fire."
     That's what happened the other day to Cary Champlin, of Somerville,
Mass., a student at Harvard Divinity School, and Shelly Wood, of
Springfield, Ill., a student at McCormick Theological Seminary, when they
went to a meeting of the Assembly Committee on Mission Coordination and
witnessed a debate over continued funding for the controversial National
Network of Presbyterian College Women.
     The young women were so affected by the debate   in which, they said,
some witnesses were cruel and un-Christian towards some others   that they
had tears in their eyes when they returned to the classroom to report on
the meeting. Asked whether the experience would make it more likely or less
likely that they will return to the GA one day as commissioners, both
replied, with feeling, "More likely!"
     "If they're going to be like that," Champlin said, "they're going to
have to deal with me."
     That's not an idle threat. Rogers says: "I actually have had students
take this class one year, then come back the next year as a commissioner.
And I think that's terrific."
     The course is co-sponsored by SFTS, the Office of the General Assembly
and the Committee on Theological Education (COTE).
     Rogers, who turned 65 in January, is retiring, effective July 1. "I've
always said administrators should retire at 65," he says, "so I thought I
really should take my own advice."
     He has agreed to shepherd one more group of seminarians through the
General Assembly  "next year, because it'll be in our back yard, in Long
Beach," he says   then step aside.
     "This isn't my program," he says. "It's a seminary program, with OGA
and COTE. And we have a clear transition plan. If I drop dead tonight, it
would keep going; that's the important thing."
     SFTS had a retirement party for Rogers last month, and about 300
people, including "a whole string of former students," showed up to honor
him and wish him well.
     "What I heard them saying was, 'You believed in me and you encouraged
me, and that was the most important,'" Rogers says. "I said, 'Everybody
ought to have this   at mid-career; then you'd know what mattered, and do
better at it.'"
     Jeffrey G. Bridgeman, a minister and GAC member from Solvang, Calif.,
is a typical Rogers disciple. Overhearing a mention of Rogers' name, he
stops what he's doing and says: "Are you talking about Jack Rogers? He's
the reason I'm here. He opened the door for me."
     Rogers, an ordained minister who belongs to the San Gabriel
Presbytery, believes he answered a calling to be a professor.
     "What has always gripped me most deeply about this faith," he says,
"is that it gives meaning to life   and so, for me to help people see the
meaning in this, to understand, that's been what I've liked; so teaching
has been a wonderful opportunity for me."
     The students in Rogers' GA class this year, who represent 17 different
seminaries, clearly believe it's a wonderful opportunity for them as well.
     Says Bill Bess, of San Anselmo, Calif., a student at SFTS: "(Rogers)
works at the southern campus (of SFTS), and I'm a student at the northern
campus. So while I've met him, and sat with him at lunch once or twice, I
wouldn't say I knew him. But he taught a course on our campus this spring,
on the confessions, and I heard so many good things about that, about his
knowledge of polity, in particular. That's why I'm here. And I'd say it was
an excellent decision on my part."
     "In this class we have the whole theological spectrum," Rogers says.
"Harvard Divinity and Union in New York, if you want to talk about people
on the left. Gordon-Conwell, and Fuller, and Regent College in Vancouver,
British Columbia, which are known as conservative institutions on the right
plus Presbyterian students who go to two different Methodist seminaries,
and a Baptist seminary." And nine Presbyterian institutions.
     "You can tell in discussions that they have different points of view,
but I have not sensed any rancor or contention. Last year I did. We had
some Gordon-Conwell and some Union in New York people. What would happen
is, when they would lead in prayers, the other students would look at each
other like, What in the world?, What kind of language is that? You could
just see it.  But they got to know each other and to respect each other.
They trusted each other, that's the beauty of it. So when they go out from
here, they know friends and colleagues from across (factional) lines, which
is wonderful, and it's good for the church."
     Says Bess: "I haven't felt any strain (between people of different
theological convictions) in this group. ... But over time it would be
different, I suspect."
      Rogers says he is impressed with the quality of ministerial students
today.
     "People say the quality is down, because statistically, more bright
young people are going to law school and medical school," he says, "but
that's not been my experience. What I think is the great thing is that
since the mid-'70s, when women started to come in great numbers, the women,
such bright people, have really challenged the men. And what also came at
that time were mid- career people, and I think that's wonderful. ... The
program I run, the average age of our students is in the early 40s. Half of
being a minister is just knowing how to get along with people and organize
your life and geta job done. You don't have to teach these people that."
     What quickly becomes clear to anyone who talks with Rogers about the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is that he feels great affection for the
denomination.
     "I'm an institutional person and I've given myself to this
institution, and I've worked in it and through it; that suits my
temperament, and it's what I believe is helpful, and it's really hard for
me to step outside," he says. "Even when I'm a critic I'm a very loving
critic   and from inside."
     He'd be happy to hear what Daniel Moore, of South Hamilton, Mass., a
student at Gordon- Conwell Seminary, says about his participation in the
course: "It has formed my identity as a Presbyterian. Before this I would
have considered myself as more ecumenical."
     Yet Rogers is not above criticizing the church he loves.
     "The racial thing is what's really under the surface," he says. "We're
a 95 percent   well, at the best a 93 percent   white denomination. We talk
incessantly about being diverse, but we've got to find a way to put our
money where our mouth is. If we can't do better than that in being
inclusive with people who have been part of our community for 200 years,
we're really in trouble.
     "What we did 10 or 15 years ago to try to solve the problem, we set
quotas and mandated certain things in terms of leadership. I worked in
Louisville at the headquarters for two years, and at that time   probably
still   we had to have 25 percent racial/ethnic people in the staffing of
every office. What we did is, we sucked the leadership out of the
congregations! And put these people in very visible spots, and as it turned
out, it was really tokenism, I think   although I don't believe that was
intentional on anyone's part. It made us all feel better. It made us look
better. ...
     "Often you do a good thing and it has bad consequences. ...
     "In the '60s we abandoned almost all of our character-forming
activities, for what seemed like very good reasons. ... We quit having a
denominational curriculum, we quit having denominationally sponsored youth
groups, we quit having denominationally sponsored college ministry, we quit
doing new-church development, we quit sending overseas missionaries in the
numbers we had, because everything, we thought, should be ecumenical.
     "Well, there was a real value to that. ... But we lost the whole
boomer generation. ... We gave our children our values, but we didn't root
them in the tradition that had nourished us, because we bent over backward
not to impose all that on them. Well, now we have had to start over."
     Rogers says the most important thing his students learn at the General
Assembly is merely that things are generally more complicated than they
seem at first. Each one chooses an issue of particular interest and follows
that issue through the committee process and the plenary sessions.
     "I ask them to write a one-page paper before they start, about what
they think about the issue, and then at the end they write a 10- or 15-page
paper, and it's almost always a 'how-my- mind-has-changed' paper, because
they've seen things in much greater complexity than they ever suspected
before. And it's usually a transforming experience. ... Because it's a
plunge, an immersion kind of a thing."
     Rogers disagrees with those who say the mainstream Protestant
denominations are dying.
     "It's clear that membership is down," he says. "We've dropped from
about four million members before the (1983) merger   if you count the
bodies that came together   to about two and a half million. But giving is
up; we've got less numbers, and we're giving more money; now that indicates
something. There's tremendous vitality out there in the congregations. ...
     "There are two kinds of things that have got to happen in a church.
You've got to preserve some kind of tradition, whether you call it Bible or
tradition or history or whatever. And you have to have some kind of
innovation. The Southern Baptists are very good at preserving the
traditions, and Unitarians are really good at innovation. But the trick is
to have both things at the same time   and that's what a mainline
denomination is. That makes it hard, because every year we have to struggle
and think through, How do we keep those two in balance? But that's
vitality. That's where the vitality comes from."

John Filiatreau

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org