From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Head Joan Campbell Recounts Freeing of U.S. Prisoners

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:30:50

GA99111
25-June-1999

                 NCC Head Joan Campbell Recounts
               Freeing of U.S. Prisoners  in Serbia

FORT WORTH Joan Brown Campbell, general secretary of the National Council
of Churches, gave a riveting account of her recent trip to Yugoslavia.  She
was part of an interfaith delegation of Americans to secure the release of
three U.S. soldiers held captive by the Serbs during the war over Kosovo.
     Speaking to the June 24 Washington Office Dinner during the 211th
General Assembly, Campbell echoed the words of fellow delegation member
Jesse Jackson as she explained why they went: "The options were clear
either go forward in hope and faith or recycle pain and sorrow."
     Campbell said the feeling upon seeing the three American soldiers walk
out of the Belgrade prison where they had been held captive was
"unbelievable."
     She said the delegation relied heavily on the Serbian Orthodox Church,
which invited the delegation to come to Yugoslavia.  "They have long been
calling for the resignation of [Serbian president] Slobodan Milosevic," she
said, "and our presence there gave credibility to the moderates in the
country at a time when the extremists were gaining in power."
     Campbell said the Serbian Orthodox Church also challenged the
Americans to understand the "moral ambiguity of this war."  The Serb
Christians, she said, "don't subscribe to any 'just war' theory   they see
war as the lesser of two evils, but never as just."
     "We could have leveled Belgrade and brought Milosevic to his knees,"
Campbell said of the NATO bombing campaign.  "But as Christians we believe
that there must be a better way." She said that Kosovars wound up fleeing
not just the Serbian army, but the bombing itself.
     The Washington Office presented two awards during the dinner   to the
Synod of the Trinity for its myriad social justice and public policy
advocacy programs, and to U.S. Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va.), a Presbyterian, for
his tireless work in Washington on behalf of anti-gambling and religious
persecution legislation.
     Synod of the Trinity executive the Rev. Tom Johnston praised the
Washington Office for the resources it provides to the synod and said, "We
are just living out what it means to be Presbyterian.  It is essential to
our identity and purpose to live out our social justice commitments in the
public arena."
     Wolf, in a videotaped presentation, thanked the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) "for its faithful and effective involvement in these issues."
Wolf said that "human rights concerns have driven me since I arrived in
Washington" and praised PC(USA) efforts on behalf of recently enacted
religious freedom legislation he sponsored.  "The Presbyterian Church has
been very helpful in getting this legislation passed," he said.

Jerry Van Marter

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org