From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Day is Dawning in Relationship Between Theology and Science

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:30:52

GA99101
24-June-1999

               New Day is Dawning in Relationship
                   Between Theology and Science

FORT WORTH   A closer relationship between theology and science is on the
horizon following a long history of conflict in ideology, Anna Case-Winters
told members of the Presbyterian Association on Science Technology and the
Christian Faith (PASTCF).
     Case-Winters, an associate professor of theology at McCormick
Theological Seminary in Chicago, was the featured speaker Thursday at the
annual PASTCF luncheon.
     The general purpose of the association is to challenge and assist the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in studying, understanding, discussing and
acting on the implications of science and technology as they affect the
theology, worship, practice and moral actions of the church. The group also
assists Presbyterian scientists, engineers and other technical
professionals to study, understand, discuss and act on the implications of
the Reformed theological tradition for their scientific and technical
vocations.
     "A new day is dawning in the relationship between theology and
science. Now that I've been looking I can find that everywhere," she said
referring to news articles published on the subject in such publications as
"Newsweek" magazine.
     She said after a long period of science and theology being considered
"non-overlapping" with different questions and a different message, each
has gone through a transformation with our entry into the post-modern era.
"Each in its own way has experienced a crisis of authority," she said.
     In the past theology in scripture and tradition were treated as truth
not requiring explanation or defense, she told more than 50 people at the
Ramada Plaza Hotel. But under the weight of historical criticism "the house
of authority that once seemed solid has collapsed." From this a "parallel
crises of authority" has occurred in science.
     "The mechanistic and lawful world of Newton gave way to the general
relativity framework of (Albert) Einstein challenging absolute time and
space. Now that gives way to quantum mechanics...with these rapid and
radical shifts science has undergone a shape of its salvation,"
Case-Winters said.
     As new humility has been imposed there is a "new openness, a new
teachableness for both fields and, within that, a safer dialog has been
created," she said. "Interestingly some common ground is forming."
     She said the trend does not as much signal a new day between science
and theology as it is a normalization of relations.
     "When theology and science meet, faith seeks understanding. I invite
you to follow this dialog closely and join in," she concluded. "I see
exciting times ahead in the conversation, [with] challenges, discoveries,
perplexities, and illuminations, as we together, in wonder, unfold the
admirable wisdom of God."

Evan Silverstein

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org