From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Fighting Hunger Will Be a Mountaintop Experience for David Dolan

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:34:48

99251
5-August-1999

    Fighting Hunger Will Be a Mountaintop Experience for David Dolan

    Los Ranchos Exec Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in Hunger Program Benefit

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

ANAHEIM, Calif.-Call it the ultimate hunger walk.

    On Aug. 17, the Rev. David A. Dolan will attempt to scale 19,340-foot
Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.

    Dolan's trek is a fund-raising adventure to benefit the Presbyterian
Hunger Program, in which he has been active for a number of years.  Dolan,
a graduate of San Francisco Theological Seminary, is associate executive
for resource development and mission interpretation for Los Ranchos
Presbytery.

    At the conclusion of a mission trip to Africa for Los Ranchos
Presbyterians that he is leading, Dolan will attempt to climb to the top of
the highest mountain in Africa and one of the "seven summits of the world."
He is seeking sponsors and all proceeds will go to the Presbyterian Hunger
Program's efforts in Africa.

    "I am climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, in the words of Mount Everest
conqueror George Leigh Mallory, `Because it's there!'" Dolan says.  "I am
also climbing Kilimanjaro because hunger is there in Africa."

    Dolan says his anti-hunger work began as a result of a mission trip
when he was 17.  "I was a volunteer in Central America with a humanitarian
organization vaccinating children against polio," he recounts.  "During
this experience, a young mother brought her dying child to the medical
clinic asking us to help.  It was already too late.  The child died from
hunger-related causes.  Ever since that moment, I have committed myself to
fighting hunger and disease throughout the world as I am able."

    Dolan suggests a per-foot of elevation pledge to those who want to
support his climb.  For instance, a pledge of a tenth-of-a-penny per foot
would mean a $19.34 contribution.  A penny a foot would translate to a
contribution of $194.30.

    Pledges may be mailed to the Presbyterian Hunger Program-Kilimanjaro
Quest, 100 Witherspoon St., Louisville, KY 40202; faxed to the Presbyterian
Hunger Program at 502-569-8963; or by calling the Presbyterian Hunger
Program toll-free at 1-800-334-0434.

    Upon Dolan's return, the Presbyterian News Service will publish a
first-person account of his climb.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org