From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Charges Dismissed Against `School of the Assassins' Protesters

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:35:40

21-July-1999
99242

    Judge Dismisses Charges Against
    `School of the Assassins' Protesters

    Three Presbyterians Among Those Cleared in May Demonstration

    by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE, Ky.  - A federal judge has dismissed charges against three
Presbyterians and 50 others arrested in Washington during a protest against
an Army-operated training center that critics have accused of breeding
terrorists.

    The May 3 protest against the School of the Americas (SOA), a federally
funded academy at Fort Benning, Ga., took place at the Pentagon. The SOA,
which is staffed and managed by the U.S. Army, is known to its opponents as
the "School of the Assassins," because its graduates include dictators,
soldiers and paramilitary officers linked to brutal human-rights abuses in
Latin America.

    The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in 1994 became the first religious
denomination to adopt an official policy calling for the closing of the
SOA. Since then, church members, notably those of the Presbyterian Peace
Fellowship, have taken part in non-violent demonstrations against the
school.

    Marilyn White, a co-chair of the Peace Fellowship who was among those
arrested in May, said the dismissal of charges was "appropriate" in light
of the non-violent nature of the protest.

    "There were a lot of comments from the law-enforcement officers that we
were well-behaved," White said by phone from her home in Houston, Texas. "I
think the action is fair and just."

    White and Peace Fellowship members Bill Galvin of Baltimore, Md., and
the Rev. Clifford Frasier, of Jackson Heights, N.Y., were to appear in
court this month. They were arrested after they helped other demonstrators
paint red images of SOA victims on a Pentagon sidewalk.

    U.S. Magistrate Judge Thomas R. Jones signed an order in U.S. District
Court in Alexandria, Va., on June 10, dismissing the charges without
comment.

    Some of those arrested, including White, had been charged during
previous demonstrations and could have faced up to four months in prison as
repeat offenders.

    "The charges should be dropped since they were against those of us
exercising our freedom of speech," said Frasier, associate pastor at Jan
Hus Presbyterian Church in New York. "We were following our conscience to
witness the unjust government-sponsored training of torture and subversive
military strategies."

    In the May demonstration, at least 50 Presbyterians joined an estimated
2,000 SOA opponents, waving banners and reciting victims' names while
circling the sprawling Army headquarters in Arlington, Va., in a procession
nearly a mile long. Some protestors wore white death masks to commemorate
SOA victims.

    After Pentagon officials refused to allow the protesters to present
evidence of inhumane acts to Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen, some
participants began outlining red body images in washable paint on a
walkway. Pentagon police quickly arrested 60 people; 53 actually faced
charges.

    The protest was part of four days of vigils, music and mourning
sponsored by the School of the Americas Watch, a Washington, D.C.-based
organization. The group also stages a rally every November at Fort Benning,
where it maintains an office.

     Leaders of the school have said that inappropriate tactics are no
longer taught there and that the curriculum includes a mandatory course in
human rights. They contend that the SOA is largely responsible for the
growth of democracy in Latin America.

    "Whether they prosecute or don't prosecute, we're going to keep coming
back," said Carol Richardson, co-director of School of the Americas Watch.
"We're going to keep coming back until the school is closed."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org