From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Board of Pensions President Settles In

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:36:29

14-July-1999
99237

    New Board of Pensions President Settles In

    Rob Maggs Says He Wants to `Give Back to the Church'

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

PHILADELPHIA - When he came to a career crossroads last year, Robert W.
("Rob") Maggs Jr. figured he had three choices - start his own business,
retire, or "find something where I could give back some of what I'd
learned."

    Maggs, 55, quickly eliminated the first two options. "I was too afraid
to pursue the first, and too young to settle for the second," he says.

    The answer for him - behind door number three - was the presidency of
the Board of Pensions of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), a position to
which he was confirmed recently by the 211th General Assembly.

    "This position seems like a great combination to use the business
experience I have acquired and my desire to serve the church at a time when
my wife and I are looking for a new adventure," Maggs told the Presbyterian
News Service during an interview conducted during a break in the July 8-10
meeting of the Board of Pensions here.

    "I was told about the Board of Pensions job during a golf game with the
moderator of our presbytery [Genesee Valley Presbytery in Rochester,
N.Y.]," he added. "When I looked into it, I was excited by the
possibility."

    Maggs, born in Chicago but raised in Elkhart, Ind., graduated from
Claremont McKenna College in California, then earned his law degree at the
University of Illinois. His first job out of law school was as a drafter of
legislation for the U.S. House of Representatives. After one year in
Washington, he moved to Rochester, where he worked in the banking industry
for 27 years, first for Lincoln First Banks (a bank holding company) and
then, after a merger, for Chase Manhattan Banks.

    Maggs is an elder of Third Presbyterian Church in Rochester. A few
conservatives opposed his confirmation because Third Church is a "More
Light" congregation.

    "It's my wife's family's church," he said, unapologetically. "Five
generations of her family were baptized, confirmed and married in that
church. We were married in that church. I've been there since 1971. It's my
church."

    Working in an industry as volatile as banking has been good preparation
for his new work, Maggs said. "I have the ability to learn a great deal
fairly quickly about this organization, with its long and honorable
history," he said. "And I have developed a good sense of how external
change can affect an organization like ours. I have confidence that I can
help balance the grand traditions of the Board of Pensions with the
uncertainty of change."

    Although he has no experience in the health care field, Maggs is
undaunted by the relative unfamiliarity of his new work. "I'm a fast
learner," he said, "and I'm not too scared, because there's a great staff
here - candid, dedicated and working as a great team. As president, I have
a strong safety net."

    The rapid pace of change in the health care industry doesn't seem to
phase Maggs, either.

    "There is a great national debate going on right now, and at the Board
of Pensions I'm surrounded by people with a great deal of experience who
can contribute a lot to that debate," he said.  "My job is to make sure the
Board is responsive to its plan members."

    For relaxation, Maggs plays golf ("Badly," he says) and enjoys
gardening, cooking, fishing, reading and enjoying the company of his wife,
Debby, and their family, including his 16-month-old granddaughter.

    Asked what he has read most recently, he cited "Paths of Courage,"
Stephen Ambrose's book about frontier explorers Lewis and Clark, which he
says gave him courage. "When you think about the pace of change today but
then think about them, you have to be inspired," he said. "They were really
going out into the unknown."

    On a day when Maggs said his biggest challenge was "figuring out how my
new office phone works," he seemed humble, confident and comfortable in his
new job. He smiled, puffed on his pipe and concluded, "I promise to do my
best."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org